A LITTLE ADVICE PLEASE

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hogdogs87, Feb 11, 2015.

1. hogdogs87

hogdogs87 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2015
    north Georgia
    I am looking to hatch some chicken eggs when the weather warms up. I dont even know where to start. Could someone point me in the right direction. I am looking to hatch barred rock eggs if that helps. And im not looking to spend an arm an a leg on fancy equipment. Im not some executive. I do sheetrock and paint work. My funds are limited...lol..thanks in advance !

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    My favorite resource on here is: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101. I consider it a must read for firsts time hatchers.

I'm assuming you have not yet purchased the incubator. That is a big decision in itself. Here are my opinions: If you can not or do not want to put the money out for a more expensive "set and forget" bator such as the Brinseas you can have good hatches in the cheaper bators, but they are more work and more monitoring. I myself use a Little Giant with the fan kit installed and egg turner. I am a stay at home mom and have the ability to babysit it. There is of course a wide variety of bators between the cheaper foam bators as I have and the higher end investments such as the Brinseas. I would recommend a forced air bator over a still air bator though.

Use at least two thermometers and a hygrometer in your bator. Never trust the gages on the bator unless you've checked them against a known source. The gages are known to be off in the bators-especially the cheaper ones.

When you do set your eggs, do not count the day you set them as day one. You start your count 24 hours AFTER you set them.

You're going to have a lot of questions as you process through the first hatch, don't be afraid to ask. You will get a myriad of different opinions and philosophies of how people do it. Some things work for one and not the other. Your first hatch is a big learning experience and will guide you in what works/doesn't work for you.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Ditto That!!! I re-read that whole thing before setting eggs. There's some stuff in there that will absolutely blow your mind. Thank you Sally Sunshine for putting all of that together.

5. hogdogs87

hogdogs87 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2015
    north Georgia
    Thank y'all. !! I will be reading and doing some re-search. I was actually looking at a little giant incubator on craigslist. How long does it take an egg to hatch from day one.

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    21 days
    Set on Saturday, they'll hatch on Saturday.

7. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    It is a very well put together piece. Very thankful for the info in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by