A Little Advice...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dlw55, May 25, 2019.

1. dlw55

dlw55 In the Brooder

Sep 12, 2018
    I recently lost 10 of my 12 Buff Orfingtons to a weasel. It sucked big time. I have the 2 remaining a bought a smaller coop for them. My issue is there really isn't a spot to keep the food and water. Can some of you more experienced chicken keepers let me know your thoughts on this subject. Also I live in mid NH and am concerned where there are only 2 will they be warm enough come winter? Again not a lot of room and don't know if some kind of heater would be a good idea. Please share your thoughts/knowledge with me. Thanks!

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Addict

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Orpingtons are a cold hearty breed. Since your coop is small I would strongly recommend not adding heat. Especially if it is a heat lamp.

Is there a reason they cannot use the bigger coop?

Can you post a picture of the small coop so we can brainstorm on feeder placement?

blackdog043 likes this.
  3. 21hens-incharge likes this.
  4. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I would clean up, and strengthen up the big coop and put the two back into that one.

Just how cold does it get where you are?

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    21hens-incharge likes this.
  5. blackdog043

blackdog043 Crowing

Feb 19, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    Why didn't you use the same coop? Even with your temps, a bigger coop would be fine and no heat is needed.

Post a picture of your smaller coop, so we can see what you have to work with. I Also wonder what kind of ventilation the smaller coop has.

aart and 21hens-incharge like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: