1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A little advise needed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ole rooster, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I just went out to clean the coop this morning and found 4 day old chicks huddled in one corner in front of the nest the hens in. She still sitting of 2 more eggs. My question is should I put some type of a heat source in the coop with the chicks not under the mother or just trust her judgement on the chicks needs. There is a about a 3 or 4 inch board for them to cross to get back in. They huddled up and peeping away.

Thanks.

2. Wnunezcruz

Wnunezcruz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Tennessee
    If the chicks are really load then they are probably cold. I would put a heat lamp in their but not too close to the chicks.

3. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    If they chicks are not under the hen, her broody instincts may not be intact enough to raise the chicks. Set up a brooder ASAP in case the hen rejects the chicks and check on them frequently. It is not the time of year for a broody to abandon her chicks. If you do not see her tending to them in the next 24 hours, you need to brood them indoors yourself.

4. just2rosey

just2rosey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    New Kent
    They might not be able to get back over the board. Maybe you could add some bedding close to the board and build them a ramp or something. I bet the bedding around the hen made it easier to get out than back in. Good luck with them all.

5. Ole rooster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Thanks. I just went back to the coop and they were lined up in front of the nest trying to get back in. But they numbered 5 instead of 4. I put them in with her "growling and pecking" me. They went right under her. I also scooped up the sand to make a ramp of sorts up to the nest so there is now about a 3/4 inch lip to climb over. I covered that with straw from one of the other nest and that made it almost flush. I don't have electricity to the coop so I'll have to run 2 cords for a lamp if that's needed.

Now one more question. Should I put out started feed and water for them now or let mama take care of um. I have some medicated starter/grower.

My concern is from the coop to the ground is almost 3 feet. The chicks will never make it. I'm thinking of closing the pop door till time for the others to roost. I think I should get them out of the coop into my dog house where the others are laying now. She ran the others out of the coop with her settin in there.

Things have kinda been turned into a mess with her settin.

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Sometimes the shock of it all makes the mom want to go broody. Just like when the kids are young they must be taught to drink water or where the food is or how to walk up the ramp? She may need some encouragement a few times to let those wiggly little critters that were not moving under her before that its OK for them to be there and maybe then her mommy instincts will understand a bit more. Even though she hisses and get mad that her mommy instinct working and protecting but she recognizes you. Let something she doesn't recognize try that she will more than likely draw blood. Keep practicing with her and keep putting them under and I think she will surprise you. If not get the brooder ready. week 1 85 to 90 degrees week 2 80 to 85 degrees week 3 75 to 80 degrees and keep dropping until week 7. At week 5 let them go outside and get acclimated to the weather and grow thick down for winter. Medicated chick feed , vita sol or healthy chick water vitamins. No treats until week 4 but they have baby tummies and should be bland foods that are proteins. Eggs scrambled or hard boiled etc....

[​IMG]

7. BlazeJester

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Chick feed would be good. Mama will need to eat it too, so don't eat any of her eggs until about ~2wks after she is off the medicated feed (she probably won't lay anyway). If you have unmedicated non-layer feed (flock raiser, grower, etc) they can all eat that too.

Keep a close eye on her when she gets them out of the nest box. If there isn't a ramp up to the coop and the chicks can't get back in, keep them inside. A lot of people will use a wire dog kennel, the kind used to crate a dog when left alone, inside the coop to keep the chicks safe. You can surround the outside with chicken wire to keep the chicks in. Most areas you can find these on CraigsList for $10-20.

They should be OK if mama is taking care of them underneath her. Keep an ear out; if they're really loud, as someone else said, they're cold.

Good luck!

8. Ole rooster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Thanks for all the help, y'all. I just checked again and they're still under her. I'll get the food and water ready. By the way, she looks like she used her beak while sitting in the nest and tore down most of the ramp I made. Oh, they hatched on day 21.

I told Bob he was a proud papa, but he just didn't act like he knew what I was talking about.[​IMG]

Thanks again.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  9. BlazeJester

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Bob is doing a great job for himself!!! Good boy making more chickies! [​IMG]

10. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Way to go BOB!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by