A little advise please.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by New Guy 22, Jan 11, 2015.

1. New Guy 22

New Guy 22 New Egg

Nov 1, 2014
    Emmett, MI.
    I have a single female Pekin duck who is 9 months old and she stopped eating the shredded corn that I mix with bird seed and crumble pellets, the only thing that I can get her to eat is the dried mealworms that I buy for her as a treat, can anyone give me some advice as what to feed her? or what do you feed your ducks?

Thanks,

Rick M.
    10 JAN 15

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I feed my Runners and Buffs moistened organic layer pellets, with a few tablespoons of dry cat kibble when I want to give them some extra protein. Sometimes I had a little sprinkle of flaxseed meal. I also supplement with some calcium citrate solution. Then there are greens (not spinach) and peas for treats sometimes.

Is it possible she is ill? Ducks hide illness well. Is she laying? Could she be egg bound? Any chance of egg yolk peritonitis or parasites? You might want to get a fecal test done.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  3. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Mines get purina chicken feed,then free range.

4. New Guy 22

New Guy 22 New Egg

Nov 1, 2014
    Emmett, MI.
    Thank all of you for answering, I don't think that she is ill, she walks and plays/bathes in her water tote and preens her feathers all the time and when I feed her she picks through the feed and eats only the mealworms, I will try the peas and try going back to the crumble that is small little crumbs instead of the pellets.

Thank you,

Rick M.
    11 JAN 15

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Rick,

any chance something is stuck to the roof of her mouth? Just want to offer any ideas - once there was a duck we heard about who wasn't eating - turns out she had a little wire or something stuck in her bill.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by