1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A little attached to my older roo but....

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by zowieyellowflame, Jan 3, 2011.

1. zowieyellowflame

zowieyellowflame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Hi,
    I purchased a flock of 8 hens that came with one roo last June. His name is Elton and he was a young cockeral when we got him. He has proven to be a good rooster.... nice to the hens, actually helped with raising the chicks and protective when predators have been around. (hawks, eagles)
    This year, Eltons second season, he is still going strong but he has chosen to shun some of the hens. I have 2 barred rocks and he will not mate them and chases them away from food.
    I have a new rooster that I like that I grew from chicks, a purebred americana that I named Manny. I decided early on that I would keep him and send Elton to freezer camp.
    Now I am hesitating. It is January and we should have already gotten rid of Elton but we haven't. Is this the right decision? Eat the older roo? Or because he has such a good track record and the hens (most) are happy, keep him? We have killed excess roos in the past but this is a little harder, he has been here from the start.
    Obviously I can't keep both, they are fighting. It is getting more intense. What should I do?

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    That's a tough one. If you are happy with Elton, I would spare him, especially if he is doing his job well. Your younger roo may or may not work out as well, and like you said, he would be better eating. As far as them fighting, it will subside at some point. It is very possible to have 2 roos together, as I have 4 pens that have 2 roos together. It may seem bad, but they are just establishing pecking order right now.

Goodluck w/ your decision.

3. zowieyellowflame

zowieyellowflame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Oh wow! Not what I expected someone to say! But am I ever relieved! There, both will live!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by