A little bit of a miracle...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by johnsonpoultryfarms, Mar 20, 2013.

1. johnsonpoultryfarms

johnsonpoultryfarms Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2011
    Reeltown, Alabama
    I started collecting eggs a few weeks ago in anticipation of the arrival of our incubator that my wife purchased on e-bay... well I got 6 eggs before either a Raccoon or Possum killed my only remaining Rooster and Hen (Napoleon and Penny) we were devastated we raised them both from day olds so we were pretty attached. To make things worse though the seller didn't ship the incubator and then only after filing a complaint with e-bay did she come up with a very elaborate story of why she wasn't able to ship it (I feel certain that it was because she didn't set a reserve and she was gonna lose money[​IMG]). We ended up going to TSC and buying an incubator by this time these eggs were pushing almost 3 weeks since collection I did not have high hopes that any of them would develop... Well mother nature proved me wrong I just candled them and so far all 6 have normal development for their first week of incubation. We are elated to say the least!![​IMG]

2. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    That's awesome! you must have stored them well. I super hope it all works out. I gathered up 10 eggs to try out my new incubator...and all of them except one seem to be infertile...talk about a letdown. I'm getting 20 eggs locally though. I'm pretty excited. The guy said it would take him a few days but he'll call as soon as he collects them.

3. johnsonpoultryfarms

Aug 7, 2011
    Reeltown, Alabama
    I actually just stored them at room temp in our kitchen and rotated them daily. My wife just reminded me that we have a shipment of day olds coming 2 days before these are supposed to hatch!![​IMG]

4. johnsonpoultryfarms

Aug 7, 2011
    Reeltown, Alabama
    [​IMG]

Just had the first hatch of the batch!!!

5. FarmerJessie

FarmerJessie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2013
    That is a wonderful story! I am happy to hear the chicks are doing well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by