A little bit of advice please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by iFairyx, Aug 3, 2011.

1. iFairyx

iFairyx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    England
    Hi there,

My mum and I placed 12 eggs into our incubator.

Our first two hatched on day 21 (as we were told to expect) but sadly no more followed. Whilst I am happy with the two
    we have (they are very cute) I was a little disappointed. We were originally told to discard any unhatched eggs after 48 hours.
    After searching a little on google, another website said discard after 26 days, I can live with nature taking its course but wanted to give the eggs
    the best chance and convinced my mum to give them a little longer.

After just going out to check on the chicks and eggs (the brooder is in the same room as the incubator) I've noticed
    that another egg has started to hatch [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] which is of course great news!!

My question is, when do we discard any unhatched eggs?
    I don't mind have them in the incubator longer if they need it, but there will obviously come a point when no more will hatch.... but the information
    i've been reading is conflicting (if we had discarded after 48 hours this one would not be hatching).

Thanks for reading,
    iFairy x

2. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    if you have one hatching now I'd wait till at least tomorrow to toss them....what day is today?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  3. Wolftalk

Wolftalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    The Coop :)
    ok-
    go into a dark room and candle the eggs (hold a flashlight behind them)
    they should be really dark or black on the small end and you should see light come through on the bottom . that means they have developed. keep those.
    if you see any
    -sloshy liqud
    -murky liquid
    -patchy darkness
    -or you can see the light through the whole egg...
    go and drive them FAR AWAY from your house and toss them. they are bad eggs.

if you leave the ones you have discovered well and dark on top give them like 1 or 2 more days. check them again and then decide wether to toss them or not.
    hope that was helpfull just post if you need anymore advice!

LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  4. iFairyx

Aug 3, 2011
    England
    Today is day 23 (going into day 24)

[​IMG]

5. iFairyx

Aug 3, 2011
    England
    Hi there,

Thanks for the advice.

I did candle them and took 4 out, and left the others in there.

The little chick that was hatching did hatch in the early hours, however his legs are splayed (they look too big for his body) and he isn't progressing at the same rate the others did.
    I'm hoping that he will get it together but I think he may not make it [​IMG] so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks again
    iFairy x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by