1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A little carried away

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dreamgirl, Jun 11, 2007.

1. dreamgirl

dreamgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Well, 6 weeks late and the coop still isn't done. My bf got a little carried away on the construction (so much for keeping it at >$100) and now the coop is sturdier than my house! We probably have the only coop up to code...

Below are some photos of the work in progress and my chicks temporary housing. Anyone see the problem with the new coop? Yikes! [​IMG] Not much we can do about it now, but the roof is going to have a VERY low pitch! [​IMG] [​IMG] :thun

Coop decking
    [​IMG]

One wall (with door and window) done.
    [​IMG]

Framing finally done (yesterday). There is a large window in each wall. On to the roof! Notice our "little problem"?
    [​IMG]

The coop is 8'3" x 8'3" (another oops) and will have as big of a run attached as I can work in, probably 8x10 with another 8x18 added later. Plus they'll free range.

The brooder is a little more than 3 x 5 with the box being 3x 2+ and it is inside and 8x16 pen with a tarp over 1/2 of it for rain and to keep them from flying out, which they still do on occassion...[​IMG]

Temporary housing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Dear dreamgirl:
    My DH got carried away with the coop too, and that was just re-habilitating an old kid's playhouse. We've spent over $700 on materials. I figured it's so pretty that we may just put visiting relatives there alongside the chickens.
    Have fun.

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I don't even want to discuss what my DH is doing with our chicken tractor. I don't think even he'll be able to move it and it was supposed to be light enough for me to move! We have been joking about it all weekend. There's a reason I call him the King of the Over-Builders! [​IMG]

That is a nice big coop and your chickens are going to love it!

4. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

5. iwanteggs

iwanteggs Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    mlheran, I was thinking the same thing but those pictures you posted were great help for this post.

6. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Looking good, dreamgirl!

I'm going thru the same dh problem as far as overbuilding goes, except here it is with their run. I shouldn't really complain though as I see no way for predators to get in once he's done but it's taking soooo much longer to finish than I had hoped. LOL

7. dreamgirl

May 28, 2007
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Actually, the problem is the power lines! When we started building it never occured to us they were there! There is now only 6 feet or so between the top framing and the lines. We have considered a shed roof, I'll take a look at your post, thanks.

8. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    Quote:and if the power company comes out for tree triming they are going tell you to move it.... and that seems like a pretty big coop.

9. dreamgirl

May 28, 2007
    Hudson Valley, NY
    and that seems like a pretty big coop

Really? It is 8'x8' or 64 square feet. At 4' a bird (per Story) that is 16 birds. I have 12 now and plan on getting 2-3 ducks and 6 guinea hens next year. I know that is more than 16, but I heard you usually end up with 2 out of every 6 guineas anyway. Plus I want more brown egg layers...​

10. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

dreamgirl, it looks good, other than the power lines. Are the posts in the ground or just sitting up on top of the grass? If sitting on top you could take and move it with a tractor to a better location. Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by