A Little Color Help? (Seramas)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by WeeLittleChick, Sep 28, 2012.

1. WeeLittleChick

WeeLittleChick New Egg

Sep 10, 2012
    I am new to the world of chickens having just started with a flock of mixed laying heavy breeds in July. However it didn't take me long to find something a little less utilitarian and a little more fun. A couple of months ago I brought home a pair of Seramas, a very sweet black rooster and his hen who is mostly white. After this I found a local breeder and ended up with three more - a cockerel and two pullets. The problem is I want to learn all about their genetics and colors and what they can produce but this is impossible if I don't know what color they are! Can someone please help? I have posted photos below.

As you can see my hen is mostly white but she does have some black tail feathers as well as a few tiny black spots on her head and the faintest buff tinting around her neck. I think its safe to say my rooster is just black. :)

[​IMG]

And here are the three new ones... This is the cockerel Caesar. He's grown more colorful sine this photo was snapped but he won't let me take a better photo - they all come out blurs and butt shots. SIGH. The closest thing I could find to his color are mille fleurs but they didn't seem to have nearly this much white on them so I don't really know...

[​IMG]

These are the two pullets - Aphrodite (right) and Athena (left) I am taking a very uneducated guess on them as well. Aphrodite seems kind of Golden Laced-ish? Aphrodite looks like a blue partridge to me.

[​IMG]

Here's a better side shot of Aphrodite...

[​IMG]

And here's my two first chicks, total miracles as they hatched after two weeks of my stupid incubator going up to 103 degrees (or down to 86) for no apparent reason whenever it felt like it. I'm very curious to see how they turn out too but I guess its too early to tell for now. :)

[​IMG]

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I don't know anything about seremas, but Caesar looks like a calico colour to me, and they are all gorgeous!

3. WeeLittleChick

WeeLittleChick New Egg

Sep 10, 2012
    So calicoes aren't just for cats? Sweet. He's getting more colorful all the time.

[​IMG]

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    1st pic is a black tailed white and a black
    2nd pic i would say is a calico

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by