A little confused

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by guest21, Oct 29, 2013.

1. guest21

guest21 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2013
    Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can explain what happened here. I have 4 hens that have not been near a rooster and this is what I found in one of my eggs today...[​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Is that a blood spot? I can't tell from the pic.

If so, that happens when a blood vessel bursts when the egg forms...happens with or without a cock bird.

I just scoop it out and cook the egg...it is considered a normal finding...commercially sold eggs are candled and those with meat or blood spots are removed.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  3. Chicks and Hens

Chicks and Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2013
    With my chickens
    Oh that isn't anything!!! It is a meat particle might seem gross but it won't harm you. You can eat it it doesn't matter. but it is NOT a chicken. I am not an expert but I am pretty sure it isn't anything.

4. guest21

guest21 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2013
    I'm not sure how well the picture turned out bit this is actually formed, I can see an eye and all. Hermaphrodite chicken?

5. Chicks and Hens

Chicks and Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2013
    With my chickens
    I really don't think it is.

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's not an embryo, it's a meat spot. Pieces of ovarian tissue slough off sometimes and end up in the eggs. That solves your mystery--no weird double sex birds, no thing like that. Just a normal glitch in a hen's reproductive tract. Scoop it out and eat the rest of the egg. Trust me, not an embryo at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by