1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A little confussed about my EE egg's

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by prettygreenegg, Feb 28, 2012.

1. prettygreenegg

prettygreenegg Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2012
    Hi everyone!!

I'm new to chickens and I would like some opion's on the color of my egg's. At first I thought I had one green egg from the first EE. Then this last weekend I began finding more green egg's. atleast I thought. I'm also getting large egg's and small egg's. My large egg's seemed darker than the first lighter green egg's I was getting. Here are some pic's. please look and tell me what you think.
    Thanks!!
    [​IMG]y[​IMG][​IMG]

2. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Wait...so you're getting two EE eggs a day?

3. prettygreenegg

Feb 3, 2012
    I have to EE girls. one started laying early and it looked like a light green egg. Then last weekend the other started laying. but now I'm getting larger eggs that are a little darker green and I just got a large egg that looks blue. I'm wondering if I will get blue and green egg's. And If the second girl that just started laying is popping out large egg's instead of just small ones. I'm not sure what to thing because I'm getting different colors and small and large egg's. from two birds.

4. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    "Easter Eggers" can be all kinds of things that lay blue, green, and even brown eggs. You are probably just getting two different eggs from two different hens.

5. prettygreenegg

Feb 3, 2012
    I think my question isn't making sence....

will a young chic lay her first few egg's and they will be large instead of small?

or Can one EE lay her regular larger egg's and have them bounce between blue and green colors?

Thanks

6. angusshangus

angusshangus Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Verona, NJ
    Once they "pick" a color they stick with it. A green egg layer won't spontaneously lay blue eggs. I noticed with my hens (1 EE, 1 Silkie, 2 Cochins all are bantams) that when they first started laying, the eggs were smaller with inconsistent shapes. As time went on, the eggs got to be a consistant larger size, shape, and color.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Generally hens lay smaller eggs to start which gradually increase in size. Hens also generally lay one color egg although the color may fade as her egg cycle lengthens. My guess is that you have two hens laying. The first started out with smaller eggs. The second laid larger eggs from the get go.

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I've had EEs lay a large egg for their very first. Especially if they didn't start laying until they were on the older end of average. The shapes tend to change just a little (they get wider) and the color can vary a bit but it doesn't change radically. I have one that lays blue eggs with white speckles but the speckles are only some of the time. That's the biggest variance I see in color. So, I think it's safe to say that both of yours are laying.

9. prettygreenegg

Feb 3, 2012
    Thank you everyone!! I was hoping when the second EE started laying that it would be a different color from the first girl. It threw me a little when I get two large egg's and if you look at the picture, it seems one is more blue and the other is an olive green. but I still get small egg's also. which you notice on the picture with 4 egg's.
    Thanks!!

10. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    OH, BTW... sometimes the spraying station gets passed through quickly which results in a lighter coating of brown -- so you see the blue more. If you crack the eggs and peel back the membrane, the interior color will be more consistent than the exterior. I have one with a pastel blue interior (sage green with the coating) and two with a much more vivid blue interior (blue-green and blue exteriors).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by