A Little Disappointed With My Silkies....Advice?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Laurajean, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I had done a ton of research before getting my first chicks. I decided on Silkies mainly, and thought I'd add a few others into the mix. I ended up getting a Bantam "assortment", which turned out to be 5 Silkies & 1 Cochin & 1 Mille Fleur D'Uccle. Well, I did my best to handle them a lot, hold them, talk to them, etc. They would sit on my hand as chicks while I worked at my computer.

Now they are about 9 weeks old. The Cochin & D'Uccle are so smart and friendly. I can easily pick them up, and they lie still while I hold them and get petted; they are just dolls. But all the Silkies are little spazzes. If I go near them they run away, I have to literally corner them to pick them up, when I do hold them, they flap around and squawk like I'm abusing them. I don't understand it. I've treated them all the same since they were a day old, I don't know what went wrong with the Silkies. I heard Silkies are docile and friendly, so I'm confused. If one or two were flighty, okay, but all five?

Has this happened to anyone else with Silkies? Could they outgrow this and calm down or is this how they'll always be? I love them, don't get me wrong, they are just the exact opposite of everything I thought they would be. Any suggestions on things I could do to help them chill out a little?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  2. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Mine do that when there young but as they get older they settle down and anyone can pick them up

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have had hatchery silkies in the past, and they were all spazzo's. Silkies from a breeder/show lines, I feel, tend to be wayyyy calmer than hatchery silkies.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Some of my birds tend to want less to do with humans than others. I have one little one who runs up to be picked up if I go into their coop. And I have other who run as fast as their little legs can carry them in hte opposite direction. But with regular handling they should get better.

5. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Quote:I agree with you. I bought a few hatchery silkies and ended up giving them away because they acted crazy all the time. I think they got dropped on their heads at the hatchery [​IMG] .

6. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I've never had many problem's with silkie's.This year I hatched a showgirl and it's so not friendly.Even after brooding it forever along with the other's and holding it daily.Depend's on the bird I guess.I have a few sebright's that aren't the "holdy" type also this round.Don't give up the silkie's though I have raised some super tame broody pet bird's even the roo's.

7. water4two

water4two Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2009
    Hendersonville, NC
    I bought (what I was assured was a pullet) silkie at 4 months of age. It turned out to be a roo! At first it would run (like someone else said) as fast as it's little legs would move, but now it is one of my favorites of my flock. I did not intend or wanted to keep or have a roo. Now I would not even think about giving him away. My hens are bigger then my roo, but that does not stop him from trying to be the boss! [​IMG]
    I would wait a couple of more months.

8. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I had one that we got from a farm store. Nothing special about him but the kids actually had him sitting on their shoulders like a parrot while they watched cartoons. Maybe you just got one with a spazzo personality. It will probably calm down.

9. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    One word... Treats. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by