A little disappointed...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Eggsoteric, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I had my hopes of obtaining some Tetra Tints early next year, however, the only hatchery that carries them has decided not to hatch any next year so, I'm on the hunt for a good, friendly egg layer. I'm considering Buckeyes but know nothing about them. I've read the breed reviews but would like to hear more on these birds. Thanks!

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Since you were looking for Tetra Tints, you obviously have no objections to hybrids. I would suggest Black Sex Links (Black Stars) which are hardy and friendly egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. In addition they are readily available as they are often used by laying houses (with good reason) for brown egg production.

3. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Have no objections to hybrids. Currently have a few black stars and started out with red stars. Love both of those breeds but ever since I acquired a few Tetra Tints, I've been hooked on them! They're wonderful egg layers and I believe they would live in the house with us were they allowed. Thanks!

4. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome. Just out of curiosity, do you have any idea how many eggs per year you on average from your Tetra Tint hens?

5. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    P.S. I meant to say, "you get on average. . . " Sorry about the typo. :eek:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by