A little freaked out about this WARNING...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by E-Chick, May 10, 2009.

1. E-Chick

E-Chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Ramona
    ...one of the people that we bought our hens from this past week informed us (being the newbies that we are), that we, "shouldn't just think of them as cute pets...that they sometimes can jump up on you and go for your eyes!"

OMG!!!! Are you kidding me!?

Okay, I'm still freaked out from seeing that old movie, "The Birds" back in the day, but come on! These are chickens that want treats, not eyeballs (I hope)!

Have any of you ever had an issue with this??? Should I be concerned? I've been wearing sunglasses when I enter the coop or run - just in case... but wonder if they'll want to peck my shiny glasses. Hmm...

I dunno if the warning is founded or just something from an alarmist?

2. Alley

Alley Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    Eureka, California
    LOL! I think you can take your glasses off! Between my boyfriend and I we have 20 hens and we've never had one try and peck our eye balls out!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've had my juvies try and peck my eyes.

You need to be careful.

4. E-Chick

E-Chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Ramona
    Thanks!

I'll just *squint* when I go in!

[​IMG]

5. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

My 3 kids (11, 9 & 6) REGULARLY hold, snuggle and do all sorts of lovey stuff to our chickens - INCLUDING OUR ROOSTER! Keep them close and let them know they are safe, they will be good for you. No worries!

6. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Made me smile!![​IMG] [​IMG]
    Mine don't like eyeballs, they like toes!![​IMG]

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

They're just curious, not malicious!!

They looooove wedding rings!!!

They have pecked at my glasses some, but they lose interest pretty quick once they realize that it's not edible.

8. Becky_H

Becky_H Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Seconding this. My glasses and wedding rings get pecked at quite a bit, but once they find it's not food and/or I'm not holding food they no longer care.

9. ZepChick

ZepChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    coos bay OR
    hahaha!! that is so funny, I am sorry I am laughing but it's kinda funny. I don't think sunglasses are necessary. They do like wedding rings....and freckles/moles on arms. I guess one of our fayoumis did peck our dogs eye once, but she didn't go running up towards him, she actually was next to him and curious. Good luck!

10. Mrs. Glassman

Mrs. Glassman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Cedartown, Georgia
    I agree, they seem to love rings. Even the new chicks hone in on my rings and peck at them. I've had one hen try to twist it off my hand.

But eyes?? I've never had a problem with that. They may do it just to see what is shining....but I wouldn't be afraid, just careful cause it might sting a little!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by