A Little Goose Help

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Bobafett, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Bobafett

Bobafett Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2013
    Colorado Springs
    Hey all...I acquired a goose the other day from some folks who didn't know much about it. We raise chickens and have other animals so the goose has been no problem for us. It is actually a very great animal and beautiful to boot.

Anyways I have done research here and through the rest of the ethersphere but am still having a tough time pinning down the breed. Looks like Chinese or African but I can't find any good side by side references. I am also looking to determine the sex as the previous owners did not know (crazy right?). The only info they had is that it is about a year old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any help is greatly appreciated...thanks!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

Maybe this will help but pics would help to determine sex. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/533413/the-african-and-chinese-goose-thread

3. cogoose

cogoose Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2014
    Look at the metzer farm website to determine. (African or Chinese maybe?)

You're going to find this babe will latch on to you. One sweet baby you have there. PLEASE read 'The Book of Geese" by Holderread, offered for sale through metzer. All goose owners should read this because it is empowering for you to understand your goose.

1 person likes this.
  4. Miss Lydia

I don't have either Chinese or African so really can't say on breed, but I have seen pics of ganders in both these breeds and the knobs are much bigger so maybe a female. ?
    Beautiful goose too.

5. Dwen

Dwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Concord, NC
    I'm leaning toward African. Chinese are very small geese-(relatively)- with an upright, tippy-toed stance, a super thin neck, and a high, squeaky honk. African are bigger and thicker (like yours) and have a throatier voice. How heavy is it? (compared to your other birds) Chinese are also more skittish. A bit high-strung.
    It's very difficult to tell gender on geese. I always have to wait for eggs to be sure.
    Looking at Metzer's was a good idea. Maybe check out Holderread's website too. They don't raise barnyard Africans (just the giant exhibition type) but you can get a good idea of what Chinese are like.

-Dwen

6. Bobafett

May 5, 2013
    Colorado Springs
    Thanks for the tips...

I am still not entirely sure...lol, but at least I am getting steered in the right direction. It is interesting that both the African and the Chinese are basically the same...both even being from China.

Next step will be to take some weights and a few more detailed photos to compare.

I suppose that if the age I was given is correct and what I have is a female I should find out this spring?

And please forgive my ignorance...but geese are like chickens I guess? Meaning that a female will lay with or without a male. Heck...are all avians like that?

7. Miss Lydia

Yes she'll lay every other day whether she has a gander or not. Maybe down the road you'd consider getting her another goose, they really do enjoy the company of their own kind
    More pics or a video would be helpful. .

8. Bobafett

May 5, 2013
    Colorado Springs
    Yeah...it has only been a few days and I want more. Great animals...

9. Bobafett

May 5, 2013
    Colorado Springs
    Ok...so I weighed the bird...and it is about 7lbs...so not what I would consider large by any means.

10. Miss Lydia

Nope light but geese can fool ya with the down and feathers my Toulouse female probably weighs around 10-12 lbs. she is small for her size. So she'll let you pick her up or did you have to corral her? And when they are light light they can fly so watch out she doesn't decide to take a flight if there is danger outside of where you keep her. Maybe she is Chinese and then again she just may need more food too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by