a little guidence please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by szy.cpr, May 26, 2007.

1. szy.cpr

szy.cpr Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2007
    hertfordshire/england
    hi, i have just got some chicks from my daughters school that needed a good home, we have a good general idea of how to take care of them and they all seem to be doing just fine, but i just need a little guidence on how to keep them healthy and happy, they r only just over a week old,in a brooder with a lamp to keep them warm.how long before i can but them outside,lay eggs ect, your advice would be appriciated greatly. many thanks szy.cpr

2. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
  3. szy.cpr

May 26, 2007
    hertfordshire/england
    thanks for the info, im a complete novice,i think 4 of the chicks ive got are cockoo polish,and ive got 1 black silky but ive no idea what the other one is, are these good layers.thanks

4. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    Polish birds are usually high maintenence birds, the April/May Backyard poultry mag has a good article on them. They are not a real good layer and they aren't broody birds. Polish chickens have a crest of feathers on their heads which can impair vision is not clipped. They make good pet chickens tho. Silkies are excellent birds. I don't know about egg production but they are excellent brooders(by that I mean they are naturally setting birds). Alot of breeds of chickens have the broodiness bred out of them. Silkies make good pet chickens also. For eggs I would suggest leghorns, barred rocks and Buff Orpingtons. Storeys guide to chicken raising is the bible for all us chiken lovers. Most libraries carry it but I would buy it. You can find it at Tractor Supply.

5. szy.cpr

May 26, 2007
    hertfordshire/england
    ive only had my chicks for 2 days now, but im already feeling overwhelmed with love for them they r just too cute, everytime i leave the house i worry about them and rush back home, just to find they are fine!! How long could i leave them for......not that i think i will, but just incase!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by