A Little Help Please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mylied, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Mylied

Mylied Overrun With Chickens

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    I wrote about all the circumstances in a different post, so I'll just cut to the chase. I have some silkie eggs I thought were on day 17. I just candled them and 2 have internally pipped. This was unexpected, so I haven't been in lockdown. I've been turning them and it's dry in there. There are no cracks in their shells yet. I thought putting them in an egg carton will help them stay up towards the air cell and I added water. Should I be concerned that they'll be dried out or will get messed up since I've been handling them? Thank you for the help.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It's water under the bridge now. Worrying won't change anything.
    Just keep the humidity up and keep it closed. Sit on your hands and hopefully soon, you'll have chicks.
    Small eggs sometimes hatch early but clearly, your temps have been high throughout.

3. Mylied

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    They could've been further along. I got them about halfway through from under a broody. I just estimated them by how they looked. I have a pip this morning but it's not peeping. Hopefully it's just a quiet one.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    [​IMG]
    good luck

5. Mylied

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    I'm feeling nervous because one hasn't pipped through yet and the other hasn't done much more than make a tiny hole. My last two hatches I had bad experiences with, so it makes me want to jump in right away. :-/ I'm trying to be good and resist. It would make me feel better if they peeped. My other guys were so noisy while hatching. Whenever they got quiet, it meant one died. Lost a few in the shell or a couple hours after pipping from low humidity I guess. I have the humidity good this time and I know they can do it. Just sad when they die.

6. Mylied

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    So funny. I just posted that and now the chick is peeping. :) The computer is right next to the incubator. It's a lovely sound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by