A little help Prolapse maybe?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blacksilkie, Jul 30, 2011.

1. blacksilkie

blacksilkie Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    I saw my 3 year old silkie hen with mess of her rear end yesterday. We cleaned her up and she was messy again a few minutes later. In the last few days I found two bloody eggs I'm not sure they were hers but that is what I'm guessing.She still seems active and alert. We brought her in today and gave her a warm soak for 15 minutes. After reading here I thought a cool bath might be good but she did not want to stay in it. We set her up an alone spot inside and in just a few minutes she passed a soft shell but just a shell it looked like a wadded up piece of paper with no egg inside. She just ate some cottage cheese and appeared very hungry. I think things look good so far. What else should we do for her? Thanks for any help

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sounds to me like you're doing good. If she prolapses again you may have to push it back in, and she may need another day or two (or more) of rest and isolation to finish healing. Many put a little honey or Preparation H on the prolapse. I wish you well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by