1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A little help with diagnosis of a sick chicken- pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pcord, Jan 23, 2011.

1. pcord

pcord Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    We have 5 chickens and one of them has been under the weather for a few months now. At first it was lethargy, a moderated appetite and poop caked on the feathers near her vent. Now she's beginning to lose feathers especially around her neck. They are new as of April 2010 and have not molted yet. Anyone have any clues or other things I should be looking for?

[​IMG]

2. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Well, it looks like new feathers are begining to come in, she/he might be molting. give it some time, it might just be a molt. [​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Have you checked for lice and mites?

4. pcord

pcord Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    I checked for mites but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. I didn't see anything crawling around and it's hard to tell what might be skin flecks vs. eggs. I guess the mite check was tentatively negative. Attached is a better photo. Could she be molting this time of year? It's frigid outside!

[​IMG]

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    It looks to me like she's molting. They don't quite act themselves when they molt.
    [​IMG] for being such a good keeper of your chickens and noticing!
    Just continue to watch her for any other symptoms.

6. pcord

pcord Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    So what is the protocol when molting? Does she stay outside in these temps (teens at night, freezing during the day)? The other girls are picking on her a bit and she's thin but I sure don't want to keep her inside for long! Also, how long does the molt last?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by