a little help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dan71314, Jul 29, 2010.

1. dan71314

dan71314 New Egg

Jul 29, 2010
    Greetings,

We were told that the pictured chicken was a female (3 months old) and an Araucana, however after looking at some pictures of the breed, we are becoming suspicious as to whether the labeling is correct. We are new to the back yard chicken community, thus we are inherently gullible. Thanks for any help that you all can provide.

Keith

[​IMG]

2. awheel11

awheel11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Well....it's not an araucana lol, you're right! They would have ear tufts and look quite different from that. I think your's is a wyandotte (but i've been wrong before [​IMG]).

I'm not sure on the gender, but he/she is very pretty!! [​IMG]

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Yeah- I don't know where they would have gotten araucana- not even close. It may have some EE/ameraucana blood, but usually (not always) you'll have green legs and some semblance of a beard. I'm thinking it may be a cross-breed rooster.

BTW- welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

4. tberryer

tberryer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2009
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    Looks like a roo to me. I'm not sure of the breed though.

5. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

at that age with all that red and size wattles I'd say ROO! Not sure about the breed. Where are the slate/green legs?

6. gstone

gstone Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    South Portland
    BOY! is it a bared rock?

7. tberryer

tberryer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2009
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    That's 100% NOT barred rock.

8. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Looks Wyandotte mix to me.Boy

9. dan71314

dan71314 New Egg

Jul 29, 2010
    Thanks to all that have shared their knowledge with us. We agree that whatever the mix, he's a beautiful bird. Although it is problematic if he is indeed a rooster; the city in which we reside does not have ordinances against keeping chickens, but does specify that if the birds are "noisy or deemed a nuisance" then we may have problems. We were hoping that he/ she was not a rooster.

Again, thanks to everyone. It is nice to know that such a supportive community exists, one that can give practical guidance to newbies like us.

Regards,

Keith

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Looks like a very poor quaility SLW rooster. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by