A LITTLE HELP ????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HankGa, Aug 14, 2008.

1. HankGa

HankGa Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    We are hatching our first egg in the incubator. Its time for them to break out of the shell. One has made a small hole in his shell last night. We here him chirping but he has not made anymore progress cracking his shell. Would it be alright to help him a little?

2. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    no wait 1 more day then help if needed

3. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't help it. Sometimes they pip way before they are ready to hatch. What day are you on? It could be 24 hours after they first break the shell. Helping it is a really risky thing to do....

Waiting at this point is so hard and nerve wracking.

Find something to do and let nature takes it's course.[​IMG]

4. HankGa

May 12, 2008
    Thanks for the replies. Its been right at 24hrs since the first small hole was poked.

ON EDIT : The eggs are from a Bantam and its on day 19.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I would leave it be. I learned the hard way with my first hatch and killed the chick cuz it wasn't ready to come out. Sit on your hands [​IMG]
    Krista

6. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Day 19 is way too early unless it does it on it's own. Just leave it. Krista is right, you will jeopardize the chick.

Read this.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=76890

This time is the hardest part of the hatch for me. It is counter intuitive not to help.

Come post if you need some more support![​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I will add though, my last banty hatch were frizzles that hatched on days 19 and 20, but on their own. I didn't help at all, I just cheered them on [​IMG]
    They know what they are doing [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Krista

8. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    give it time if u pull them pout to early it may not have absorbed the yolk all the way among other compliucations wait a bit longer dont pull them out unless they slow movement considerably

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Good luck on your hatch...I have one that is suppose to hatch on the 17 [​IMG]

10. HankGa

May 12, 2008
    Once again , Thats for all the great advice. We have 2 new bantams that hatch last night and are doing well. One more question , When do they start eating and drinking. We have offered water and starter feed but have not started on either one ??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by