a little help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tastychicken, Jan 13, 2015.

1. tastychicken

tastychicken New Egg

Jan 13, 2015
    I just tried to incubate chicken eggs. Only 10 out of 44 hatched. The rest are fully formed but dead inside the eggs. I helped 3 out after I noticed 2 tried to get out but died after hours of trying. The rest never even tried to get out.I have a forced air incubator with automatic turner and I never had the lid off for more than a few Seconds. Any thoughts would be great?! Thanks

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Hi and welcome to BYC - so sorry to hear about your hatch.
    A little more information might help us to pinpoint some possible causes for your losses. What brand of incubator are you using? What was the temperature and humidity as your incubation progressed? Were these shipped eggs or from your own flock? How were they stored prior to incubation?

3. tastychicken

tastychicken New Egg

Jan 13, 2015
    I have a Circulated air incubator from Farm innovators, model 4200.
    It was kept at 99.5-100f the whole time. I added a little flavor baster vile of water every day...not very much. This is the only thing I could think of was there wasn't enough water.

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome
    Sorry to hear you had a poor hatch. Monitoring humidity during incubation is crucial for you to be able to know the air sac size that the chick has to pip into. The usual cause of fully formed chicks not hatching is incorrect humidity during incubation. Too much and the air sac will be too small and not enough the air sac could be too big. I would recomend you purchase a hygrometer so you can measure the humidity.
    This is an excellent article on incubation failures https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/egg-failure-to-hatch-diagnosing-incubation-problems
    Wishing you the very best of luck with your future incubation.

1 person likes this.
  5. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I aim for 45% day 1-18 and then at lockdown when you stop turning the eggs I put it up to 65%. The humidity needs to be an average over the entire incubation period, short term changes shouldn't be a problem as long as the eggs have lost enough moisture in order for the air sac to grow large enough for the chick to pip into and learn to breathe air. Monitoring during incubation when you candle should tell you if you need to increase or decrease your humidity.

6. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by