A little late posting. 5 new suprises

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jake1222, Oct 24, 2009.

1. jake1222

jake1222 New Egg

Aug 5, 2008
    Wanchese, NC
    I came home this past Monday from work to 5 little suprises. The mother had gone broody last month and I decided to let her sit on 5 random eggs that I wasn't sure if they were fertile or not. I do have three roosters and 14 other hens. 4 Buff Monorchin hens & one Roo. 4 White Leghorn hens & roo. 7 Silver Leghorns & roo. As the weeks wore on I would collect the eggs under her that were not marked and that is all. I never candled the eggs or tried to disturb them much. I was suprised when I came home that day to find 4 completely hatched chicks and the last one just starting. I have them all in the same coop/run as the rest but I have seperated them by wire fencing and they are all doing fine.

I do have one question now though. I have learned of someone that has 2 week old bantahm chicks(4 of them) and they are not allowed to keep any more chickens. Would my new mother take care of these chicks like the other five little ones?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  2. cinnamongirl

cinnamongirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2009
    Deltona
    I don't have an answer for you but I just wanted to say congrats on the cuties!

3. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    you have some adorable babies...congrats

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by