A little miracle, I cant believe this!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thndrdancr, Oct 28, 2009.

1. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Well, I had eggs under a broody in the coop and had rather lost track of the EXACT day they were due. Knew roughly.

So two days ago, I checked the eggs, there were six but I did that in midday. The next morning, soon as I opened the coop up, I again checked, and there were only five! I looked ALL OVER the coop then and there, no eggshell, no baby, nothing!

When I went to close the coop last eve, I found it. This lil dead ball of fluff, outside the coop door, going up to the steps. I felt horrible. The poor newly hatched chick had been left out all night.

I cradled it in my hand and called sis telling her I was a horrible chickie momma. I went to dispose of the lil baby, but then thought about the lil robin that was half frozen last summer. So I put it under Dash and Boo, who are currently sitting on some showgirl eggs I ordered. I had no hope that it was even alive. I checked under her a couple hours later to collect it and give it a burial and you wouldnt believe it, but it was gasping and shivering! I eye droppered some kaytee in its lil mouth then gave it back to Dash.

Isnt that unreal? I checked the lil chick VERY carefully, I always do, there were NO signs of breathing, heartbeat anything. It got down to 38 that night, but apparently the cold slowed its lil body down enuff that it was rescuable!

This morning I have a fluffy blue orp baby, what a survivor the lil thing is!

[​IMG]

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

What a little miracle!!! [​IMG] How sweet is that! I'm so happy for you. Keep us updated on its progress. I love happy endings.............................. [​IMG]

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Isn't life amazing!? I'm so happy for you and that you knew from previous experience that dead cold is not always dead. Congratulations on your new baby and thank you for the smile and warm fuzzy feeling. [​IMG]

4. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope his little brain is ok too!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Wow, good save, Jill!

6. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Picture please... I just love to see miracles... perhaps that should be her name... Miracle...

D

7. mayapooh

mayapooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2008
    Kern River Valley, CA
    YAY!!! Go baby! [​IMG]

8. CamillaRules

CamillaRules Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2009
    Massachusetts
    That is so incredible. Made me feel warm and fuzzy all over too![​IMG]

9. Hippie Chickie

Hippie Chickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Port Orchard
    So when are you going to post a pic of Miracle? BTW I think that we all agree that should be her name. Hopefully Miracle ends up being a she.

10. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    Hooray! Good save! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by