a little misty, but fine... update #15

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by nanawendy, Sep 18, 2011.

1. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Today my 43 girlies went down to 40.... My GS's school (Waldorf's kinderhouse in Seattle) was in need of chicken replacements. Last spring they were given 3 chicks, and the chicks had to be fostered over the summer. Well the foster family just couldn't give them up. Which is so understandable. Well GS's teacher asked my son if jullian's chicken nana would consider a donation. I tell you I am pretty attached to these chickens but after prayer and contemplation I knew the answer the girls and I went back and forth with the different combos... And we decided on 3 Peaches,a red star and the oldest from my first flock~ Einstine 18 m/o EE (she is a female but had a wild hair do for a long time, and Sunflower , a 5 m/o mutt we hatched. I know this is stupid, But I'm a little misty. They were great ladies for us and will be a great teaching experience for these wonderful children. I know the staff will ensure their safety...Both chickens and children.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    That was very generous of you.

3. nanawendy

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    [​IMG] well actually, my DH was ok w/ me having this many chickens so I could do this very thing. Help to share the experience of nature.

4. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Wow - that would be so hard for me to do, especially an original. You are truly generous in spirit - and I know the kids will really enjoy having them.

5. nanawendy

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    My son just called... they finally made it to the school. Everyone is tucked in for the night. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  6. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    That's awesome that you did that. Even if you planned on it being a part of raising your chickens, it's easier said than done sometimes.
    You have every right to be misty!
    Glad to hear they made it & are tucked in.

7. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    This reminds how I got hooked in 3rd grade lol. Now , at 23, I stay up late trying to think of ways to get a place to keep birds so I can hatch more.

8. nanawendy

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Just got a progress report... Jullian was "king" this morning @ school. The girls were introduced and LOVE abounds. There was a baby raccoon ... so the kids learned about predators right off the bat. The coop is super safe so I have no fear. Jullian (my GS) needed this as his parents are separated and he is confused and sad. This is a welcomed distraction.

9. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    You are a wonderful grandma [​IMG]

10. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    That's so cool, not silly at all. It was hard for me to give away EGGS at first. I wanted to look at them for a while. It takes a big heart to share a special chicken. Good for you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by