A little more about sprouts

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Hennyhandler, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I was wondering if yall could tell me what seeds to sprout? I understand that you soak and then wash them and leave them till they sprout but WHAT to sprout? I have heard some say that you should go organic cause there is a coating on them that is bad for chickens which I know is true but then i know that everyone is buying these 50lb bags of grains. So what are you buying and where? I have heard of alfalfa, wheat and rolled oats. If I wanted to do oats could I do quaker oats? If I soak them they would turn to mush so that makes me believe they shouldn't be used but they are rolled are they not? I just need a little more info of if a regular ole bag of grains will be fine. Thanks.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You could use any "feed quality" organic whole grains really. Bird seed too. Alfalfa I hear is very good.

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    As sumi said any feed quality grain will work, but whole grain. Any ground or rolled or cracked grain will not sprout. The processing destroys the structure of the seed.

4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Wheat and barley seem to be the most popular with the fodder-growers on BYC but any whole, food quality grain will work like oats, BOSS, etc.

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Has any one used Bahia grass for pasture. I have chickens horses and a goat. Was wondering how to buy a small quantity of seed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by