A Little Nipper?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Yotta Yotta, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Yotta Yotta

Yotta Yotta Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2008
    Madison AL
    Hey, I have a young rooster that is a little nipper. I don't think he means anything bad by it. I think perhaps he thinks I have treats and he can't see well but I'm not sure. He's definitely not scared of me. He's actually rather social with people. I was wondering if maybe there's something wrong going on with him? He's the white and black one that has been taking forever to feather out. His brothers and sisters had completely feathered out about 4 weeks ago but he's still got some of his baby fluff.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd say he's probably just looking for a treat.

Always award good behavior.

Never award bad behavior.

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I didn't feed the chicks by hand, but I have allowed them to drink drops of water from my fingertips. When they do that they have to tip their heads at an angle and use their tongues- much gentler. If you're not too nervous about his beak he might respond to that. [​IMG]

4. Yotta Yotta

Apr 22, 2008
    Madison AL
    Well I'm not nervous about his beak. It doesn't hurt and like I said I don't think he does it to be mean...but I'm just worried that it might hurt when he gets older. I'll try the thing with feeding him water.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    If it becomes a problem you can grab his beak and hold it for a few seconds each time he does it, after a few days they usually get the message.

6. Yotta Yotta

Apr 22, 2008
    Madison AL
    I've read a lot about you and taming roosters Rooster Red. [​IMG] Thank you so much for your advice. He hasn't been very nippy lately...but if he does I'll know what to do.

7. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Wellllll....
    I have found out I have a little rooster and he has bit me 5 times now! I think he's exerting his rooster-ness and twice he's held on to my wrist!
    I wish he'd quit that!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by