A little off topic, but still...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Tiffrz-N-Kidz, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Tiffrz-N-Kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Aledo, TX
    It occurs to me that the 'fight' I am having to go through to raise chickens for meat (setting the caponizing part for now) and to have hens to provide eggs is a LOT like the fight I had to go through when I was breastfeeding my children.

I got the old "Why would you want to do THAT?!?!? There is perfectly good formula available at the store." Yeah, expensive formula with potential allergens and extra fat my kids didn't need when milk from the 'tap' was perfectly balanced nutritionally, and free.

I work at an office job in a cubicle, and was told that I would have to pump in a stall in the bathroom. My response to THAT involved MANY unprintable words, but boiled down to, "Would you make your kid a peanut butter and jelly sandwich sitting in a bathroom stall? NO? Well I am not making my kid's lunch there either." I argued statistics and civil rights and threatened discrimination suits and finally was given access to an empty office.

Now I get the argument of "Why would you want to do that? There are plenty of eggs and lots of chicken available at the grocery store." [​IMG]

Is it just me feeling like it's a constant battle?

2. Red&Yellow

Red&Yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    Yes, I believe there is a battle.
    I appreciate that you're fighting it, I plan on doing both (breastfeeding and caponizing) once I get the chance.
    Keep it up, and don't give up.

3. Mywifesidea

Mywifesidea Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2010
    Why would anyone have a problem with you raising your own egg layers? Unless you have a roadside "kill" stand, you should be able to raise meat birds in peace! The difference is like store bought bread vs. homemade bread...you just can't compare the quality in home raised birds/eggs to commercial raised.

About breast feeding...there is nothing better for your baby than mother's milk. NOTHING! Keep doing what you are doing!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  4. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Well, I think you answered your own question. For the same reasons you breastfeed, people raise their own "products to consume". Wether that be eggs, chicken, fruit, veggies, dairy, ect. Even though chicken and eggs aren't necessarily free such as breast milk, veggies, and fruits... you still get a load of benefits and a peace of mind knowing what you and your family is eating.

I do it for three main reasons. For a paycheck, simply because it taste better, and because I love to do it. The perks are endless but I consider any other benefit besides the three I just listed as bonuses. Believe it or not being a farmer and producing food I touch peoples lives, I better the environment, and if animals could thank me... I'm sure they would... at least the ones that live out long lives here.

If things are cheap and convenient, there is something wrong. There is a price to pay for that type of food, even though cheap and convenient food looks to be harmless it's not. Something pays the price, either your health, the environment, or the animals that are involved. Nothing is free nor cheap and nothing is accomplished honestly without a little blood, sweat and tears.

5. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    You make a very valid point. I agree with you and also feel the same way when people frown on me for hunting. I say the meat is fresh and low in fat. And healthy . and their reply is there is a grocery store full of meat. Kinda along the same line.

6. Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Jul 29, 2010
    Aledo, TX
    Quote:Jeff - you got it in one! This is EXACTLY why I am fighting this battle.

I just wonder why it has to be such a constant battle. When did we the people get so complacent and apathetic? When did we decide it was OK to allow animals to suffer as they do so we can have $0.75/dozen eggs and $0.88/lb chicken? I live in TX so feedlots are the norm. Ranchers laugh when you ask about grass finished beef.

And has no-one but us noticed the obesity stats or the increase in childhood health issues like asthma? I get so frustrated at people looking at me like I am crazy for wanting to provide myself and my children with homegrown food. I know it's their problem, not mine, I just wish they'd keep their negativity to themselves.

Thank you all for the support, I just needed to vent. :)

7. Brunty_Farms

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Part of that reason is so many of us are driven so far away from the reality of farming. We seem to forget how things are done. Even though we "know" that animals are suffering we don't see it everyday. We aren't reminded of it when we purchase or eat meat because it's wrapped in pretty packages for you to forget the truth. Which people do... big corporations pay billions on marketing to make you believe that everything is ok when it's not. That's their job and they do it well.

The issue at stake is who gets to decide how food is grown and what people eat. For as long as I can remember, big agriculture and big food were in control, in close partnership with congressional agricultural committees and the USDA. Today, the food movement... democracy in action, if you will... is challenging their authority and power. No wonder defenders of the status quo don't like the challenge. It is only to be expected that they are fighting back. You have that right to push for answers. It's not just you, it's millions across the country have the same feelings you do.

As a producers standpoint, I love seeing people even bringing this up because it shows awareness and it shows the passion for a change. At least it's a battle and not just another food fad of our nation, people want better for their families and I don't blame them. However it is going to take time, this will not happen overnight. It has to effect them personally for it to be motivating enough to actually change their beliefs. This convenience of cheap food has been an illusion for 60 years and counting, for it to change it will take more than just a few years. So have patience but do keep fighting that battle. Trust me, it's worth it in the end.

8. Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Jul 29, 2010
    Aledo, TX
    Jeff -

Don't take this wrong, but I love you. [​IMG] Thank you for the super words of encouragment.

Tiff

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Why would you want to eat meat from an animal that is terrorized and cramped and, and, ..... etc.

Most anyone here could turn that into a long paragraph. I'm afraid if someone asked why I would want to raise chickens, I'd have to complete the sentence above. This morning I mentioned my new chicks, and a gray haired man said, I love to watch a mama chicken and her biddies. (But he is someone I've known for years; I knew I wouldn't get the grocery store response.) The meat market manager at the local chain grocery and I chat about chickens and quail all the time. I used to live next door to him (in town) and he raised many quail for his own table.

10. Brunty_Farms

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Quote:LOL... [​IMG]

Your welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by