A little over excited about chickens next sping.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rich Marshall, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2011
    My wife and I plus 3 dogs are looking to raise 3 hens as fun features to our lives and egg production.
    My wife wants me to slow down and gain as much knowledge and advice as possible before we commit next spring to 3 young hens in the spring.
    Our town will only permit 3 on the 1 acre that we live on.
    I am thinking of building a chicking tractor with a 10'x 4' run to fertalize my grass and keep the ladies interested.
    We live about 1 hour north of NYC to extreme weather is possible both in summer and winter.
    The main questions that I have right now are what breed are best for this area as in hardiness, egg worthy and friendly.
    My second question is how do I winterize for them? ( do they stay in the chicken house when the weather is bad?) and if I decide to free range them when we are around the yard etc how do they not run off.
    Any help or advise to new hen owners will be helpful.
    Thanks

2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] From North Texas [​IMG] So glad you joined us [​IMG]

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Quote:No such thing as being "over excited" about chickens! [​IMG] [​IMG]

You might take a look at the Learning Center. The link is at the very top of the page.

Chickens tend to do surprisingly well in cold temperatures, but some of the heavier breeds suffer in extreme heat. A great thread about winter is titled, "Think it's too cold for your chickens" https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=421122

My
    best advice? Always build it (coop, run...) bigger than you think you need [​IMG]

Have fun with your research and know that most people on BYC will be enablers of your eggscitement. [​IMG]

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I just got chicks and I have two Silver laced wyandotte, three black australorps, and three buff orpington. I've heard there all really good for winter.

5. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. Barred Rocks are a great choice. They tolerate the heat and cold very well and are friendly birds. Good luck.

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    [​IMG]

You can't be too excited! When I was "supposed" to get my chicks, I annoyed EVERYONE at school by being chicken crazy. [​IMG]
    Bad news=I didn't get them [​IMG]

9. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Welcome to BYC! If I could only have 3 hens, I would an EE, an Ancona and a NHR. That's because I love a variety of egg colors - and that combination would give you white, brown and (hopefully) blue-green layers. I have those three breeds (actually an EE isn't a breed) - and they're wonderful birds. Good luck with whatever you choose.

10. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by