a little over week old chicks.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrssmith84, Jan 26, 2015.

1. mrssmith84

mrssmith84 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2015
    wildomar california
    I noticed my chicks were staying away from the light so I moved it about 2-4 inches up and now they sleep right under it. Happy medium? Or should I bump it back down a tad?[​IMG]

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Is your temp stable during day and night where they are? You'll need to be moving it up a bit at a time as they grow. My one concern is that your brooder box is quite small. Very easy to over heat it. The temp under the lamp needs to be at your target temp, while they should be able to get away from the heat to at least 70 degrees or even lower so that they can naturally wean away from the heat, and so that they don't get overheated.

They'll tell you if they're cold by pig piling under the light, and complaining loudly. On the other side of the heat spectrum: a chick that's flopped down with wings spread is trying to cool off. A chick that is panting is in danger of being overheated.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  3. mrssmith84

Jan 23, 2015
    wildomar california
    Thank you for your response. I'm in southern california and my house temp is kept at 72 right now. No need for AC or the heater. I'm picking up a thermometer tonight so I don't worry myself. They seem happy and very friendly. I'll set up a bigger brooder. I've only ever had 4 week old chickens that went directly into their coop :)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  4. mrssmith84

Jan 23, 2015
    wildomar california
    [​IMG]

Made them a little more room to roam!

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Much better. Don't forget to drop the temp about 5*/week. You can also turn the light off for an hour or so every day... if they are in the house.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by