A Little Rifle Help, Please (Purchased Gun w/ PICS!!! Pg 12)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bluey, Jul 17, 2008.

1. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    I'm finding that my .22 is fine for taking out medium sized possums and other smaller varmints but the larger raccoons I have on the property are able to flee the scene after being shot through the heart/lung area with CCI hollow points and usually die around 50-100 yards away. I hate tramping through the underbrush the next day to find them.

I guess my question is, while a rifle like a 30-06 seems like overkill for a raccoon, is there something in between a .22 and a 30-06 that anybody would suggest for taking out larger raccoons?

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  2. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    There is a lot.
    I would reccomend a .222 or a .223.
    It is strong enough to kill a yote.
    06 on a racoon? Overkill? No such thing as overkill for racoon. Then, there is a .243 a deer rifle; flat shooting, fast and accurate. or .243 win short mag. I don't think you need to use short mag though.

3. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Ticks

So, would you just recommend a 30-06 then? At least I can take that to deer hunt as well. It's just that those 30-06 shells seem gigantic for the purposes of killing a raccoon.
    I'm a new gun owner and admittedly don't know all the intracacies involved with the differences in each caliber rifle.

The nice thing is the backstop behind the chicken coop is a huge hillside, so I don't have to worry about any wayward bullets.

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Go with the 30-06. You have a point, at least then you can take it deer hunting. It's sort of an all-purpose rifle. I use a .22 for the small stuff, and we have a .357 pistol that we use for anything bigger.

5. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Thanks CT!

6. zgrower

zgrower Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    .243 is also an excellent deer rifle. I would recommend a .22 mag. Or, just buy a scope and shoot them in the head.

7. cbrink

cbrink Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2008
    NJ
    For racoons a 223 would do just fine.If you use a 30-06 for racoons you might aswell set-up a m60 machine gun for them [​IMG] but thats a 308

8. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    I guess what my issue is: when I hunt these things, my game camera tells me that they come either at 12:30am or 5am. AT that time of the night, I don't want to risk the head shot in the darkness, when I can go heart/lung with almost 0% chance of missing. That, and let's face it, nobody is at the top of their game at these times, even with a scope on my .22 at 40 yards.

I just want the bullet to knock the darn thing down at least. The .22 hollow point round seems to pass right through and does eventually kill them, but I have to go looking for the carcass. The 30-06 should drop them like a rock, I would imagine. I thought that the 30-06's caliber round would be a little bit of an overkill but Ticks and CT seem to think it would serve my purposes.

I did look at some .243 rifles. What difference is there between the .243 and a 30-06 as far as taking down a deer?

9. cbrink

cbrink Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2008
    NJ
    243 is a smaller bullet and has a more flat trajectory(faster muzzle velocity),lighter recoil then a 30-06. But if I was going to hunt deer I would use a 30-06 or a 308 just because of the knockdown power of those cartridges.

10. sbluvinit

sbluvinit Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    i bought my dh a 17 hmr its a high power rifle with no kick and the bang is even quiet. it takes them down. good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by