A little sad today...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by easttxchick, Dec 2, 2010.

1. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I'm a bit sad today...[​IMG]
    My neighbors gave my DH 2 Rouen(sp) eggs for him to EAT-did he do that? Noooo-he put them in the incubator with some Call eggs I had set to check fertility. The ducklings hatched out almost 2 weeks ago and one of them didn't make it. The other one, Suzy, has been doing beautifully.
    One of the guys DH works with wanted the duckling and she went to work with him this morning to go to her new home.
    I knew I couldn't keep her because all I have are Calls(and a couple of Bantam Mallards that are honorary Calls) and she needed more room and a larger swimming facility than I could offer her...still, I got REALLY attached to her and am going to miss her.
    I stink at this selling ducklings things-I need to stick to selling eggs.
    I think I need duck detachment therapy! [​IMG]

2. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    For me selling my chicks was selling a child.

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    It is always sad to see them go but as long as it is to a good home, it makes it a little easier. [​IMG]

5. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Awww, that's sad. Can your husband's co-worker give updates to him on the duckling, perhaps with pictures?

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    [​IMG] It is hard when you see them hatch and grow up to go to a new home. I have sold over a hundred ducks this year and have cried a little with each goodbye. I do get updates from many of them and it does help a little to see them so happy and well cared for in their new homes.

7. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Thanks all for understanding. The guy that is taking her is a friend of ours and he has other big ducks and a pond for her-I'm sure he'll be keeping me updated on how she's doing.
    Called DH at lunchtime to check on her to make sure they were keeping her warm and that she had plenty of water. I could just imagine him rolling his eyes.

8. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    It is always hard giving up your babies you hatched yourself to a new home! I hatched out two guinea keets and kept them in my room for a few weeks along with my serama chicks, and it was a bit sad saying goodbye to the little rascals. My room seemed so quiet without them! I can't keep any more guineas than the trio I have, so it was inevitable. I know they went to a good home, at least, though, and it sounds like your duckling did, too. [​IMG] Ask if you can come visit her sometime, though--maybe that will help you feel better about having to give her up.

9. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    [​IMG]

10. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    We have been a duck free home for over a week now. After a skunk got our muscovy we had to find a better home for our sweet pekin. I am absolutely heart broken. I keep thinking I hear them, and when I get home I want to go give them treats. I hope to someday have more ducks. I don't think I will ever get over this loss.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by