A little scare . . . and a happy moment!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by backintime, Jul 13, 2008.

1. backintime

backintime Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    I came home from an ambulance call last night at 9:30 and went to shut the coop door . . . my eyes almost popped out of my head when my eight 2-month-old chicks were not in their usual "heap" in their favorite corner! My mind raced through visions of nasty predators until I looked UP and saw them all happily roosting on the two perches I had put in a few weeks ago, about 4 feet high. I hadn't had time to put a "ramp" up yet and figured they wouldn't go up there til I did. They all gave me this look like, "What? You thought we were stupid?" I fall in love when them again each and every day.

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    It is scary when they get out of their normal habits. Glad to hear they were ok.
    Guess they were just trying to keep you on your toes..

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Chickens are so lovable! Glad they found their new roost now! [​IMG]

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Ahh - they're growing up! Good for them - get them sleeping on that roost now and they won't likely ever sleep in the nest boxes later.

5. backintime

backintime Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    Chirpy, no problem, after my husband "modified" my coop plan (let's put the door HERE instead) there's no room for a nest box! LOL, I'll fit one in there somehow when the time comes. Lesson learned: 4X8 shed looks big on paper, very very small "in person" !!!!

6. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    We are in the process of building a 12x20 two story coop and I thought the same thing myself...looked good on paper. Now I wish it was bigger...LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by