A little trouble with a little ball of fuzz.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Helanaii, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Helanaii

Helanaii New Egg

Aug 28, 2013
    Finally! My newest, and currently only flock, has reached 1 year this month, and to celebrate my cochin brooded on hers eggs enough for them to hatch. This will be the fist time I've actually been forced to hand raise, literally, one of my own chicks. Here is where trouble came in... One of the chicks began hatching this morning, so immediately I separated my hen from the flock. Once in a smaller kennel I was able to sit and watch the chick try to break out, mamma had pushed her egg out to watch too, and the chick was peeping quite a bit. I picked up my friend so she could watch, but after about four hours the chick had made no progress and my hen didn't want to lay on it anymore. She kept pushing it away. Finally I took the egg out and found out it was too dry to break free from that white skin covering. My friend suggested moistening it, so that's exactly what we did. I helped It more by peeling the egg shell off the skin so it would be easier to break. This chick hatched in my hand and immediately imprinted on me, my hen wouldn't accept it back, she kept seeing it as a threat to the other eggs. I can't set up a heat lamp until tomorrow, so this chick has been in my hands almost all day. I'm pretty good with keeping it warm, since he peeps if he gets cold, but it feels like he's subtly shivering. Is holding him this long wrong? I feel like the oils from my hands would damage his fluff. Anyone up for throwing out tips and things to watch for?

2. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

All you going to hold it all night until you can set up a heat lamp tomorrow? LOL I'm sure holding it isn't going to harm it, just as long as it is warm. It may keep it from drying as quickly as it otherwise would, but I can't imagine that's a problem.

3. Helanaii

Helanaii New Egg

Aug 28, 2013
    Yup! He snuggled up in my hand all night long, and he may be one of the biggest chicks I have ever had, looks like a penguin too!!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by