A little turkey hatching advice

cmobley

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 4, 2015
saraland alabama
First of all I am in no way a turkey expert like the ones on here that answer all my useless questions. This is just some advice I can give using my little experience hatching turkey eggs. I have hatched ALOT of chicken, duck and thousands of quail eggs and I've always used the same routine hatching method for trying to hatch turkeys 50 to 60% humidity, don't open the bator at lockdown you know the routine. My first hatch this year was 50% using the old analog dial type farm innovators bator for a hatcher. Out of 4 eggs that all showed life only 2 hatched. Now I'm on my second hatch and yesterday and today was hatch day. I incubate in a new digital version of the farm innovators. I only dry incubate never adding water. This time I bought a nurture right 360 to try out and use as a hatcher. I've noticed with this unit the temp and humidity doesn't fluctuate like the farm innovators one does. Maybe that was the big difference also in success.I had 9 eggs all showing life. This time around I kept my humidity at 75 to 80% starting on day 25. I also pulled out each egg when I saw the shell pip and used a knife tip to poke a hole in the external membrane where the poult had broke the shell then replaced each egg. Always making sure the humidity stayed at 70 or higher afterwards. So far this morning 8 of the 9 eggs are successfully hatched. These eggs also traveled for 2 hours yesterday with me to my farm riding in the passenger seat in the bator. I have a 120 volt plug like most vehicles now days on the dash so I was able to keep the bator running. Anyway I know it's kinda long winded this won't make everyone's hatch rate increase but it's something to consider if your turkey hatch rates are low like mine usually are.

Congratulations. I am halfway through my first attempt at hatching turkey eggs, hoping for half to hatch.

I have 84 eggs in the bator at different stages with 11 hatched so far, got my first recessive slate poult hatched!!!! Can't get my chocolate tom to breed successfully so no chocolates yet. Working on Cornish Palms but it will be a couple of years on those. I dry incubate for three weeks and then bump humidity up to 80%. Down here it is so humid we don't need additional humidity until hatch.

Blessings

I have 84 eggs in the bator at different stages with 11 hatched so far, got my first recessive slate poult hatched!!!! Can't get my chocolate tom to breed successfully so no chocolates yet. Working on Cornish Palms but it will be a couple of years on those. I dry incubate for three weeks and then bump humidity up to 80%. Down here it is so humid we don't need additional humidity until hatch.

Blessings
I'm in south Alabama nothin but free humidity around this place. I hatched out 4 more yesterday another 100% from the nurture right I have a silkie hen that decided she wanted to be a mama so I gave her 2 eggs and my turkey hen has 5 under her. Incubating 10 full blooded bourbon red eggs that'll probably be my last hatch I'm trying to build my flock up from the 3 birds I have to maybe 15 or so. Hope all.of yours hatch out for you

All 9 eggs have hatched. 100% hatch rate is a really awesome experience and feeling when you put so much time, care and effort into something. One poult is having a little walking issue but putting it on a hard stable surface is helping.

I am trying to hatch some turkeys right now, my first egg pipped yesterday, today 24 hours later the hole has not changed, my incubator is not holding water this time around for some reason so my humidity is staying around 55 to 60, I put more water in this morning and opened his hole a little more to make sure he was still alive, and notice the membrane had shrunk around them so I cut the membrane and open the hole a little more, I noticed he was breathing and moving so I stopped and it's sitting in the incubator, should I open the egg up the rest of the way, I noticed a little tiny bit of blood when I made the whole bigger, I know a little blood is normal, I figured maybe he needs to sit in there longer, I hear him peeping, is it bad for there to be a bigger hole in it now? Should I help him or see if he can go the rest of the way? The shell feels really hard I don't know if that's normal or if it's just because my humidity is stayed 45 to 55 the whole time

Back
Top Bottom