A little unexpected surprise this morning

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ellie_NY_chick, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Ellie_NY_chick

Ellie_NY_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Finger Lakes, NY
    I went out in the freezing cold to open the chicken doors this morning. I checked the nests and found a little egg which I quickly stuffed into my pocket.

The hens are always putting up a fuss, but this morning my Sumatra was really doing a lot of what I call "chicken b*tchin", which was what they do when they want to free range and I don't let them out of the pen.

Well when I got in the house and took the egg out of my pocket, I found out why she was putting up a fuss. The egg was white! I haven't had any white eggs, so my only guess is that I took her egg! Even though it's so late in the season, went out and I gave it back to her. I doubt anything will happen with it, but we'll see. If by some freak of nature she does hatch some eggs out, they'll be mongrel babies - probably Silkie-Sumatras.

Anyway, here is my pretty girl:

[​IMG]

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Awww what a beauty!!!!

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I saw Sumatras for the first time at the show a few weeks ago. I've seen pictures, but never a live bird. I have to say, they were GORGEOUS! I loved the tails on the males....

4. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Aww! She looks just like my Suri! [​IMG] She's beautiful!

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Is this her first egg? I thought that pullet eggs had a low hatch rate?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by