1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A little worried about Lily

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thndrdancr, Sep 10, 2007.

1. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    I am a bit worried about Lil, she seems a bit listless.
    She has been moved of course to a bigger box with a heat lamp as of yesterday. She outgrew her little box in just 4 days, hard to believe, huh?
    I worry about her cuz she doesnt move around much. I mean, most chicks scurry from here to there and she just doesnt. She looks everything over very carefully, but she doenst act like a normal kid, or chick at all.
    I put just a wee bit of pedialyte in her water, only a couple drops. See if that perks her up. She is happy to stretch her wings tho, she flaps them a lot. This lil bird looks UP a lot, and I know most dont do that. I think she wants to be taller than she is. lol
    Anyhow....I sure hope she does ok, I spent too much time on this lil gal for her not to thrive. I will have to tell her so. These last few days I havent handled them too much, and its been so darned chilly. High today is 65 I think! YIKES!
    She is pretty hot blooded, she usually hangs on the other side of the box from the heat lamp, but right now, she is sleeping and watching me right under it. [​IMG]
    Jill

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Awww....maybe she is just trying to get used to her new surroundings? Come on Lil...be strong. Got pics? What breed is she?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Jill, she really could be lonely. She has no stimulation from other chicks. Really, though, chicks do sleep alot at first anyway. It's probably nothing physical, as long as she's warm enough.

4. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    She is doing much better this morning, she does need stimulation for sure. She watches me allthe time, looks up a lot, and really is about ready to try to fly to the top of my brooder box. She is gonna be one of those curious, crazy lil things. When I change out her box, she follows my every movement, runs after my hand, etc. Extremely curious, more so than most. I am gonna put the other chick in with her as soon as I can watch them for a few hours. [​IMG] Its just been a crazy week.

I have pics up too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by