A little worried, strange egg found

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Acefit411, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Acefit411

Acefit411 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Catskill, NY
    Good Morning All,

I have 6 hens (brought them home as day olds on 4/13/12). All are laying except one! this morning going out to the coop I found a plastic looking broken (with yolk) egg on the coop floor! What is she lacking or is she just immature?!? I can tell you this hen is the bottom of the pecking order...Sorry if this has been posted before.

Thanks in advance for the advice,

~anna

2. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Sometimes when their system is just getting started on laying eggs, you will get some strange ones; soft, oddly shaped, etc. I don't think you should worry too much. You might want to put out some oyster shell so there will be an additional source of calcium. I think in the next couple of weeks it should settle out. Just keep and eye, and make sure she is doing okay in other ways.

3. 20736

20736 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    Imagine if you had to make an egg cell that was equal in proportion to your size and weight as a hen does! Think about it. And they make them 200+ times a year. We make 13 a year.
    So, the first one is never the best. I like the oyster shell idea - free choice, don't mix in feed.
    Give it a week, she'll get it right.
    Good Luck.

4. Acefit411

Apr 13, 2012
    Catskill, NY
    I will... thank you.

I provide oyster shells at a separate station in between the water and their food. I had know other issues with my other hens, they all had perfect eggs the first time. This hen as I stated before is the last in the pecking order and she is a RIR. Also a bit smaller compared to the other hens. Because of the pecking order, I try to give her first choice at treats when I go in once a day...she also walks to a different beat then the other hens ~ meaning; that she doesn't mind going off on her own and is the last into the coop at night.

Thanks again,
    ~anna

5. Acefit411

Apr 13, 2012
    Catskill, NY
    Update: Still NO (real) egg from my little one [​IMG]

I will keep my fingers crossed that she will give me a few before the days get really short....

thanks for reading [​IMG]

~anna

6. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    My bottom 2 are production RIR's, they are doing the soft shell egg lay from the roost. They have oyster shell free choice and a flock block. They are also the ones that just wander away from everyone else. They are funny. Mine are 5.5mo old and all other girls are laying good hard nearly normal size eggs. It may be a good thing they are a little slow. May lay more though the winter.

7. Acefit411

Apr 13, 2012
    Catskill, NY
    Update:

Still NO egg, and she is still at the bottom of the pecking order...
    I agree TurtlePower... Maybe it's a good thing ;)

~anna

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by