A little worried tonight...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Andora, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I wasn't home tonight when the sun went down. My chickens usually put themselves to bed with no problem, and then I run out and do a head count, and lock them up safe and tight. Tonight while I was gone the wind blew the coop door shut somehow, and so they couldn't get in to go to bed. I found them all sleeping under the coop--it's raised about a foot off of the ground. I couldn't get them out--it's freezing outside, and very dark, and they weren't moving, and I couldn't reach them.

I'm so nervous something will get them. [​IMG] We live in a suburb near farm land. There are raccoons, possums, skunks, and hawks. The only thing I've had a problem with since keeping chickens has been one rude (hungry) hawk, but my dog scares it off--I send her out with the chickens whenever I see the hawk circling. I can't make her sleep out there with them though, she would cry at the door all night.

I hate that I just left them vulnerable under the coop. Please cross your fingers my chooks are safe tonight! [​IMG]

2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    could you take a broom and get them out with it? to make them go in the coop.

3. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I hope they stay safe. the coons and predators may not be able to find them in just one night (sometimes it takes a while till they figure out where chickens live).

I've had similar situations happen and had to decide what to do. Once I parked my car with the headlights in the coop area so I could see where to find all the hens and put them inside. If you have any way of getting the hens in the coop, it might be good to ask for help and get dressed warm and try to put them in. But you're the one who knows if that's possible. The one plus is that they're very easy to catch in the dark.

Also, could you lay boards, or fencing or haybales around the outside to keep them safe that way?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  4. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

chickens are alot tougher then we give them credit for, but predetors are another issue. Why couldnt you get a broom or something and flush em out to put em in teh coop? I would figure something out, they depend on you for their safety.

But either way , you have my best wishes for teh safety of your chooks.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Oh no! I hope they will all huddle together to stay warm and safe. Sending lots of good thoughts to your chooks.

As a p.s., I have had to swing a broom at mine to dislodge them when something like that happens. A little "tough love", so to speak.

Best of luck.

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    yeah, mine knocked their door shut and only half made it in. I got one of my son's hockey sticks and *guided* them out one by one, they did not appreciate it but I didn't want them out when it's in the teens [​IMG]

7. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    The good news is that is IS freezing, raining and generally nasty. Predators don't even like to come out in this weather. They will if they have to, but generally not. Your birds should be safe from animals, the cold is the real threat right now.

8. Our chickens DEPEND on us for their safety, whether they realize it or not. Tonight I chased a New Jersery Giant Roo I got over the weekend for about 15 minutes before it got dark. He was unsure of where to go I guess, but in the end he did get the message to return to the barn. Hopefully he will get it now, if not I will be there to chase his big butt back into the barn tomorrow.

They are ALL locked up now in the wire mesh stalls, the barn door is closed, the food put up, the egss all collected and the lights and radio are on low.

It is going to be very cold here tonight and I think that you will be OK with the predators. As long as they have each other for warmth they should be OK until the dawn. I would get up EARLY and go out before the sun is on the horizon and get them back into the coop. Predators come out early, most right before the sun in on the horizon.

Good thoughts and vibes are with your chickies.

Edited for spelling

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2009
  9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    There's a spot my hens sometimes get themselves into where I can't reach them and I use my garden hoe and lay on my belly and sort of try to scoop them out with that. Can you reach them with a hoe?

10. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I could get the chicken broom (nasty one I use to sweep out the coop lol) and shove them out, but I had a screaming toddler at the backdoor and I couldn't hold the flashlight and use the broom at the same time under stress. I fell asleep with her earlier and just got back up, still half asleep, because I'm worried about them. My husband doesn't like my chickens that much, so I don't have any extra hands. [​IMG]

It's cold, but I have one gigantic brahma roo who has to be a heat generator lol. I looked under there with a flash light earlier and they are all piled up on top of each other. I pulled the two out I could reach and their bodies were warm, so I'm not too worried about that. I do have one tiny runt of a chicken, but she gets under the wing of a bigger bird all the time at night. There is a board up against where the run meets the side of the coop, and they are up against that. So at least there is shelter on one side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by