A little worried...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Enchanted, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Enchanted

Enchanted Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2013
    Alliance, NC
    Got my chicks yesterday, 5 RIR, 5 SLW and 5 Arucanas. They threw an extra RIR in there, and she died within 4 hours of being home. Possibly got too cold in shipment, everyone else is doing great, had to do a butt cleaning, poor girl was all stuck closed. Worried about another RIR, shes very small, inactive, sleepy. Watching to see if shes eating or drinking. She will drink if I dip her beak in the water. Placed her on the feeder..no interest. Should I separate her from the group for a while? All the others are stomping all over her

2. Enchanted

Feb 3, 2013
    Alliance, NC
    Also she feels a little colder then the rest of the girls...

3. gcbsmommy

gcbsmommy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2013
    Florida
    I would maybe mositen the feed with some water and offer it to her that way - maybe she would be more interested. Also add unfiltered/raw apple cider vinegar to the water (1 tsp per quart). Do you have any grow-gel/ gro-gel (?) or electrolyte boost? You might try that as well for all of them, the weaker one included.

I would keep a closer eye on her and try to hand feed her for a bit. Hope it goes well for you!

4. Enchanted

Feb 3, 2013
    Alliance, NC
    i have apple cider vinegar. Will attempt a hand feed. Why would she feel colder to the touch than all the rest?

5. SunAndDirt

SunAndDirt Chillin' With My Peeps

I had an EE get puny like you are describing after I transported her home.
    I mixed some Sav-a-Chik electrolyte supplement into the water and "syringe fed" (kind of) water to her one drop at a time, frequently, over an hour and a half. I would allow a drop to form and hang off the end of a syringe and touch it to the tip of her beak. She would drink it up. I did not force the syringe into her beak, nor push the water on her. Occasionally she didn't want the water and just ignored the drop (it would then, of course, fall onto the ground). It took only 1/2 mL to get her up and bouncing around. After that she started eating like a pig and drinking on her own.
    A week later, she's just as strong as the others.

I hope this helps!

6. Enchanted

Feb 3, 2013
    Alliance, NC
    i dont have electrolite, ehat else can I use? Nor an dropper either (can u tell I'm a newbie?)

7. SunAndDirt

I'm a newbie too, just have a veterinary background (hence the syringes).

Uhmmm.... It may work if you can dangle a drop off the edge of something. Toothpick? Fork? Your finger? I think the trick will be to just get the drop to the beak and not do too much too quick- (so you don't cause her to inhale the water accidentally. Let her do the drinking.) so whatever transport medium you can find.

I do not have experience with chicks and Apple Cider Vinegar, but loads of people here swear by it, so I would feel confident using it mixed as described above. I have used it with other types birds regularly without issue.

Keep her warm too, 95* in the brooder. I held my stressed girl under the brooder light (at ground level) while giving her water to try to reduce the frequency of temperature shifts. You may also need to fashion her a box-within-a-box if she is getting trampled. I thought newborn puppies were dumb until I got chicks.

8. Enchanted

Feb 3, 2013
    Alliance, NC
    Alas my little RIR died about midnight. Going to see if I can buy some elctrolite today to give to the rest of the girls

9. SunAndDirt

Aw man!
    I'm sorry...

Is everyone else bopping around like normal? I used the electrolytes for 3 days and quit, no problems since that one shipping stress issue.

10. Enchanted

Feb 3, 2013
    Alliance, NC
    Everyone is super active, eating & drinking. There is one RIR that is questionable, but hopefully when I get back this afternoon with the electrolytes she will perk up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by