A Lonely Desperado!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sick Birds, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Sick Birds

Sick Birds Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2014
    HELP!
    My 3 month old chickens are dying like flies! They have bloody, watery, diarrhea and are very lethargic and sit down all the time! We think it started with feeding them too much watermelon....can watermelon kill them in large amounts? Will plain yogurt or apple cider vinegar help? They are dying at a rate of 2 or 3 per day.....I need immediate action!

Maddie~

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I think you need to consider coccidiosis as the cause - they are at the prime age for having been exposed to and overloaded by cocci - and your description of the symptoms sure seems to fit. When in doubt, treat first - question later on coccidiosis. This is not about the watermelon and yogurt/vinegar is not going to fix it.

4 people like this.
  3. Sick Birds

Jul 24, 2014
    [​IMG]

This is what it looks like. I know that this is soooo disgusting, but I thought being more specific might help you understand.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Are you in the US? If so, go to Tractor Supply and get some Corid powder or liquid and treat them for coccidiosis. If you are in the US, what state are you in?

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  5. Tamara119

Tamara119 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Bariloche, Patagonia
    Are their wings drooping and hanging down along their sides? Are they huddling at a heat source all the time? Those are two other signs of coccidiosis. Coccidiosis kills young chicks very quickly; chicks can go from normal to dead in less than four days. If their wings are drooping and they are lethargic under heat lamps, you don't have much time left to treat; they need meds or they may be dead in a day, two at the most. What is the time frame of what you're experiencing?
    There could also be bacterial overload, such as e. coli. The best bet may be to put them on a broad spectrum antibiotic as well as a med for cocci. The weaker the chick the more likely you'll have to hand feed it medicated food or water.

1 person likes this.
  6. Sick Birds

Jul 24, 2014
    I live in Georgia, USA. Yup...we have a Tractor Supply 25 min. down the road. Thanks!

7. Sick Birds

Jul 24, 2014
    The time span is ok to really sick in 2 days.

8. Sick Birds

Jul 24, 2014
    I am more than convinced that this is what they have. I only heard that yogurt and vinegar might help....I was just checking to make sure that was the case! I sure don't want to injure them further! Thanks for the reply!

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

It will not help them!

-Kathy

10. Sick Birds

Jul 24, 2014
    Are you sure that there wasn't a bacteria that came off the watermelon that caused it? We have been feeding excessive amounts to them EVERY day. They were not eating any grain, strictly produce. My Mom was concerned that it might be a little too coincidental to not be the watermelon.....
    Thanks so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by