1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A lot of cases of "Eggspectation"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by woodmort, Sep 10, 2010.

1. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Sorry couldn't help myself. [​IMG] But it seems like there are a lot of people here that are eggspecting eggs sooner than their pullets are willing to produce them. Guess that's normal until you get used to their unpredictability. I just have this to offer: Relax people! Don't push your girls and don't start feeding layer in the hope that it'll make them lay sooner. It aint gonna help. Just be surprised when you look into the nest and see that first perfect pullet egg there. And don't be disappointed if you don't get another for a couple of days. It happens. It is just the nature of chickens and eggs. Enjoy.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I can tell y'all out there wanting to get their first eggs, I had NO expectations about when mine would start to lay, because that's not why I got chickens. Eggs are a lovely bonus. If they stopped today - magically, not due to some awful reason - I'd be sad 'cause I love my fresh eggs. But all those chickens would still be welcome in my yard, I'd still feed 'em, give 'em treats, and I'm sure I'd still incubate more hatching eggs. Or get silly at the feed store and pick up another few chicks, some time.

I remember reading up on egg-laying, and I highlighted the week on the calendar when my first batch o' chicks would reach the age of 22 weeks. Then forgot about it.

Two of the eight gals (back then) started laying before that mark, and the rest of them started afterwards. I noticed when I turned over the calendar page and saw the highlighted week. Oh, yah! "Possible eggs" week.

Patience. Or forgetfulness, in my case, either one is better than anxious eggspectation, as Woodmort said.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    Ain't it the truth, bees got buzz, birds gonna sing, and eggs will be layed.....................sooner or later. [​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I would like to add - if you can't handle the eggspectation, don't raise LF brahmas. I waited 9 1/2 months for two of my brahmas to start laying.

6. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Forgetfulness is the name of the game for me. Got my chicks sometime in April...I think...and figuring they might lay eggs sometime before next April. Maybe. [​IMG]

Thank God my husband has completely forgotten that I talked him into chickens with the fresh eggs argument. [​IMG] He just likes 'em now because they make me laugh.

7. tcates

tcates Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Same here Orchid.... Dh actually is seeing the different personalities bloom, and has forgotten about the egg argument! He stands there and feeds them BOSS one by one to see who can catch them in mid air LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by