A lot of chickens are dying

tamelroy

Songster
11 Years
Jan 19, 2009
Mass
I have had such a wide range of different things I cannot pinpoint what is going on. Right now I have 2 fighting whatever is going on So could you give me any ideas anything more I can do for the two that is left?

1) What type of bird , age and weight. BA 4 months old blue d'uccle 5 months old

2) What is the behavior, exactly. the BA is limping and gasping (mostly when asleep) Duccle can't stand does the splits, I also have her in a little basket so she can eat and drink or she will just lay on her side and can't get up.

See below for full symptoms of all birds so far

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? The BA a couple of days the Duccle a week an a half

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. no idea

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. right now they are on sulmet and vitamans and eclectrolytes

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. normal

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? duramycin-10, sulmet, vitamans and electrolytes

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? myself

10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. I have a new computer once I get the hook up for the camera I will post

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use Pine shavings

Some their head is going back like star gazing, (some situations the chickens acting like they had CP) legs get stiff their toes start to curl, couldn't walk, some do the splits, gasping.

I should mention I am finding mites too, I have treated the coop with some stuff I got at the feed store. I don't know if they could do this. I also checked for mold in the food or coop and there was nothing.

I am also finding some kind of fruit in my yard even though I have no fruit tree. I can't tell if it is a pear but they were round. I do have a neighbor who hates my birds, could a posion do this?

I would appreciate any ideas I am running out of them these last couple of months we have lost around 20 birds so far and I am getting really scared.

Thanks everyone!

Tracy

Last edited:
You have lost 20 birds with similar symptoms just in the past couple months?

Have you been leaving the mysterious fruit in the yard? Are the chickens eating the fruit?

Last edited:
No just found the fruit in the yard today, I got rid of it. Hubby and I put a 6 foot fence around the run, so if the neighbor is doing something she would have to throw it or trespass in the yard. And I keep treating for different things I thought wry neck at first and so on. Now I am just lost!
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Oh gosh, I don't know but it is awful. I would go back to the emergencies thread and fill out that whole form. Cut and paste it and put your answers in bold. That way all the info will be there. It may take awhile as it sounds like you have lots of different ages and symptoms but someone should be able to help you. I think people like a challenge and it certainly sounds like you have one. You could first eliminate the fruit as a problem by identifying it and then seeing if there is any toxicity there.

Good luck to you.

ETA The obvious question is nutrition or possibly toxic stuff in the environment or coop, the questionaire will help with that one. I would also use the search fx on this site to find mites and symptoms of whatever kind you have.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks, but the only problem I couldn't even begin to tell you what fruit it is! lol Hubby threw it away too.

Well if it was naturally occuring, falling from some nearby tree there will probably be more. And if your neighbor is throwing them over the fence there might be more too. If you find one keep it and call the local ag center. They can help you. Or google. Good luck!

Quote:
I got the stuff at the feed store it was safe for plants too, they told me to clean the coop and sprinkle this stuff in the fresh pine. And there was a spray to, it has a picture of a horse on it. It smells like citronalla (sp?)

And no it didn't start at the same time. My girls have been dropping like flies, I went out too and checked for mites and didn't see a thing. I gave one of the sick girls a bath cuz the poo is stuck to her but with her unable to walk and I saw mites crawling on my arm. So I went out the other day and got some stuff. So the mite thing just has started.

Back
Top Bottom