A lot of crowing

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Koturnix_AW, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Koturnix_AW

Koturnix_AW Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2010
    I have 1 male coturnix who is very quit, he lives with 10 females, so I decided to buy another male. The male I bought was a white English type...I've had him for a week now and in that week this quail has been crowing night and day and my other male is very quit 2 times a day compared to 30-40 times crowing including nights. I just want to know why this is?

2. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Are the other quail the English Whites. I had 2 with my Jumbo Browns and 1 was a crower the other quiet. I thought it was a female and never checked.

He may be fearing for his life. My Big Bad Bertha attacked both of the whites and didn't settle down until both were gone. That's my experience with English Whites. I won't put a White with the Jumbo Browns again any time soon. Well not while she's around anyway.

It's probably just a personality thing, he just likes to hear himself crow. Or maybe he needs time to settle in.

3. Koturnix_AW

Sep 13, 2010
    I have jumbo browns and golden type. None of my birds attack him, I have notices that he is the outsider he sleeps alone and paces back and forth in the cage. It's like he is in is little world.

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I house my colors separately, but have noticed that the English whites get picked up by other colors..so I recommend getting him his set of ladies.

5. Koturnix_AW

Sep 13, 2010
    Ok I'll do that. Thanks for the help!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by