a lot of flyes

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by morton, Aug 10, 2013.

1. morton

morton Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    olivesburg, ohio
    i have a lot of flyes. they are getting in our house because it an old farm house. i dont want to spray chemicals if i dont have to. i assume its from the leavings that the population has increased because we never had this problem until chicken arrival. anyone have this problem?

2. Krazzy

Krazzy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    Indiana
    my chicken coop doesnt seem to attract flys.

3. chrispbrown27

chrispbrown27 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2013
    My coop is covered in flies all the time. I bought a 10 pack of fly tape and put one strip in the run and one outside. The one inside was covered in an hour and the one outside only caught small bugs and a moth. Unfortunately, the strip in the run somehow disappeared. I don't know if they ripped it down and buried it or what happened. Anyway, it took control of the fly issue while it was hanging. We live in an old farm house and that coupled with the daughter running in and out all day long we fight flies all summer too. Fly strips are your friend, but they aren't really attractive hanging around the house.
    Chris

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Oh yeah, inside the coop, outside the coop....[​IMG] Thankfully my coop is far enough from the house that it hasn't caused that issue for me though. I tried the fly stripes but it did no good. I used DE on the coop flooring and added it to the chicken feed, total waste of money. I do have a throw away fly trap (Trap N Toss) that works alright but hasn't put a dent in my fly population. I broke down and used good ol chemicals, Sevin Dust 5% (some people love it and some people think it's evil) it was amazing and I'm not wasting my time on anything else again. When it comes to topics like this I highly recommend doing your research through multiple sources and making your own informed decision, sensitive topics can cause tempers to raise pretty easily on this board [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by