a lot of old dog houses for free

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by quintinp, Mar 27, 2011.

1. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    i ran across some old dog houses for free on the side of the road, there around where i live, there are i think 5 of them, and some extra wood with them, i think they would be good broody pens, if i added a little run, what do ya'll think?? is this very good, i think they are big enough each to hold about three bantams

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Sounds like a great idea to me. You'll have a whole chicken city of little coops.

3. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    yep

4. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    We have a large plastic dog house with a removable roof (great for cleaning) that we used for our "grow-out" house for the young chickies last year. We cut a few holes in the sides to thread poles through for roosts. And then used it a few weeks ago as a "Broody buster" as we had no roosters for her to mate with. Spare little coops are very handy for isolation coops as well. And free is always COOL.

5. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    oh i forgot to mention that these are handmade wooden coops also

6. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

sounds like a really good score to me [​IMG]

7. obaan1

obaan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Great Lakes State
    If you have the means to get them home, go for it. I need a pick up truck. Dog coops don't fit in the car.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'd make sure you sanitize them well if possible, you don't know what's in the wood.

9. Trevor P O' NEILL

Trevor P O' NEILL Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2011
    BETTER CHECK FOR TERMITES THEY LOVE WOOD . WAS THE DOG HOUSES BY THE SIDE OF THE ROAD ON THE GROUND . COUSE THEY LOVE TO HIDE IN THE WOOD [​IMG] BY THE WAY IF YOU HAVE KIDS GIVE THEM FLY SWATTERS OR GIVE THEM GLOVES AND IF THEY LOVE TO SMASH STUFF THEY WILL LOVE TO SMASH EVERY BUG THEY SEE . IT WILL KEEP THEM BUSY FOR HOURS COUSE WHEN THEY THINK THEY GOT THEM ALL POP ANOTHER ONE POPS OUT [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  10. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    My dog house was FREE on Craigslist!!!! Its 4 1/2" x 4 1/2 and about 4'8" hgh....it was posted as a come and get it, its free but you load it.....Its in excellent condition.....DH is gonna fix it uip alittle for me. And those gates were also free....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by