A love story? Soulmates?

Unicornlife3316

Songster
Apr 21, 2018
Bryan, TX
So.. I have a female guinea hen “Cutie Pie” (and a now 5 yr old who names all the creatures) - anyways - who seems to be a lone hen. No males have claimed her. She’s always alone and yelling... she’s just over a year old. I have found a single male who can join us this weekend. He’s also a year old.
Good idea? Dumb? Will they go to each other? If I pen them together but separate from the others? Any advice appreciated!

I think I will. I may even add 5 or so more and she can just join them.. idk. We will see
How many do you have, Unicorn? How many cocks and hens? When my confusion was smaller, there was always a lone hen out. That was problematic because she’d wander away from the flock looking for a guy... I’ve now added enough to currently have 21, with only 7 cocks. I’m still trying to figure out who’s paired with whom, but I don’t see lonely hens out looking for love...

How many do you have, Unicorn? How many cocks and hens? When my confusion was smaller, there was always a lone hen out. That was problematic because she’d wander away from the flock looking for a guy... I’ve now added enough to currently have 21, with only 7 cocks. I’m still trying to figure out who’s paired with whom, but I don’t see lonely hens out looking for love...
I have 14 total. I’m thinking I have 9 hens and 5 cocks.
1 pair, no extras allowed. Another are a pair, no extras allowed. Aladdin has Jasmine and Aurora. They will sometimes allow cutie pie to be within distance of them.

The other two males each have 2 girls as well. But they typically stay a big group of 6 and don’t let her hang with them either.

I’m thinking to add a male and keep him penned with Cutie pie for a few weeks, mate. They’d bond up? Or should I get 2 males?

I have 14 total. I’m thinking I have 9 hens and 5 cocks.
1 pair, no extras allowed. Another are a pair, no extras allowed. Aladdin has Jasmine and Aurora. They will sometimes allow cutie pie to be within distance of them.

The other two males each have 2 girls as well. But they typically stay a big group of 6 and don’t let her hang with them either.

I’m thinking to add a male and keep him penned with Cutie pie for a few weeks, mate. They’d bond up? Or should I get 2 males?
I don’t know. How well will your current males tolerate new ones? I’d worry that there will be a lot of aggression introducing new adult cock birds... would it work better to add keets? My lone girls were so thrilled when they noticed that there were guys in the juveniles i added. Of course they undiplomatically added themselves to the new group of juveniles by bullying them mercilessly... :gig But the odd out girls ended up with mates from that group of juveniles so I guess they know how to woo better than I do! That’s why I was so upset when those new cocks were smashed on the road last year! Poor girls ended up alone again... One of those lonely girls nested in the coop and raised keets (from unrelated eggs) last year. Now one of those keets grew up and paired with his mom! My family thinks it’s gross but I think it’s sweet! I’ll try to get a picture.

I don’t know. How well will your current males tolerate new ones? I’d worry that there will be a lot of aggression introducing new adult cock birds... would it work better to add keets? My lone girls were so thrilled when they noticed that there were guys in the juveniles i added. Of course they undiplomatically added themselves to the new group of juveniles by bullying them mercilessly... :gig But the odd out girls ended up with mates from that group of juveniles so I guess they know how to woo better than I do! That’s why I was so upset when those new cocks were smashed on the road last year! Poor girls ended up alone again... One of those lonely girls nested in the coop and raised keets (from unrelated eggs) last year. Now one of those keets grew up and paired with his mom! My family thinks it’s gross but I think it’s sweet! I’ll try to get a picture.

i honestly don’t know. I’ve only ever introduced hens when I had more cocks than hens. That was so easy. I am thinking I will actually lock cutie pie in with a new male and they can pair up and then become their own little pair. That was my thinking.

I have to be honest that I just don’t have the time that keets need right now. I have a 5 yr old and 5 month old. The adult are easier.

i honestly don’t know. I’ve only ever introduced hens when I had more cocks than hens. That was so easy. I am thinking I will actually lock cutie pie in with a new male and they can pair up and then become their own little pair. That was my thinking.

I have to be honest that I just don’t have the time that keets need right now. I have a 5 yr old and 5 month old. The adult are easier.
Yes, you must be very BUSY with those little ones! I hope your plan works out well!!! :fl

Back
Top Bottom