1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A lump on my chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by zimmy, Apr 23, 2007.

1. zimmy

zimmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Orlando
    Hi guys!

So, today, mum noticed something's up with one of my chickies. They're about a week and a half old, starting to get their tail feathers (awwww!!). The funny thing is, Martini's got a lump. On the side of her chest, it's extreamly easy to see a big, hard lump. I can't tell if it hurts her ( she doesn't liked to be picked up that much so she shurps innyway [​IMG] ), but it's really worrying my mom and me. Is this somewhat normal, no dangerous? Or is there something really wrong?

Any input will put you on a pedestal, in my book :3 Thanks in advance!!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  2. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    Could it be her crop? Chicks often store a bunch of their food in a big lumpy spot inside them (called a crop) that is around their chest, below their neck. This is like a spare stomach of sorts. If it is her crop, you can take away her food just for the night and in the morning the lump will be gone. Then give her back her food, and by evening she'll have that lump again.

Now, if her crop is impacted (stuffed too full and not digesting right anymore) she could be getting sick from that. The food removal test will help you figure out if that is a problem.

Just a thought. I'd give it a try to see if the lump is just her normal crop.

-MTchick

3. zimmy

zimmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Orlando
    Okay, I'll try that, thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by