A.M. Bully

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by epona4, Dec 11, 2008.

1. epona4

epona4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Anyone have a roo/hen that's NOT a morning person?

I've noticed something interesting about my banty BR roo. He's a real butt head in the mornings! Not to ME, but to the other 4 chickens in the coop. Including the Sussex roo who is several times his size!

The last couple mornings I've come into the coop before everyone is off the roost. Tiny (banty roo) is the only one on the floor. As each of the others hops down, he chases them all over the place! Pulling feathers, jumping on their backs, etc.

With Rocky (sussex roo) he doesn't pull feathers, but he gets up in his face, hopping up and down a bit..and I swear if he could talk he'd be saying "You wanna piece of me? Com'on! Let's go!" And my sweet big boy will run and hide behind the waterer...or me.

Now, I KNOW I'm not supposed to interfere. They need to take care of their pecking order on their own. But I couldn't help it. I got between him and the others and stood/stared him down. He calmed down a bit afterwards. Then when he started up again, I picked him up and hugged him! (he did not like it!)

Anyway, he can be a major butt head. Which is why we named him Tiny Terror. But it seems the morning is the worst. Maybe he's waking up on the wrong side of the roost?

2. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    [​IMG]

Actually, my roo is almost as bad. He has this thing about how no one is allowed to leave the coop before him. If one of the girls pokes her head out the door he pecks her hard!

Maybe he's looking for predators who knows...... silly chooks!

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

That made me laugh, that roo is my twin. I HATE MORNINGS! With a passion. If it's before 10 it is too early to be outta bed.

My roo is the opposite. In fact I went out there late last night to close them up so I had a flashlight, and he saw that thing and cowered in a corner.

4. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

My Banty roo is just like that. But sometimes the hens gang up and make him back down. Plus they peck the heck out of him on the roost. He deserves some payback. I let coop justice prevail.

5. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    yes my hunny tells me.. that his favorite hen is just like me.. HATES mornings.. she is always the last one out of the coop.. by at least 1/2 hour.. she is not nesting/laying.. just still up on the perch SLEEPING when all the others are out and about eating breakfast..

6. sandypaws

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    but my STpoodle is worse than me... she wont get out of bed untill SHE is ready.. some mornings i literally have to drag her out of bed so we can go to work...
    picture of CINDY (pink) CHULA (black).. in their bed at work..

[​IMG]

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Good Grief. You have a pink poodle. [​IMG]

8. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Wow that pink poodle is like styling!!!! [​IMG]

9. sandypaws

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    yes. i have a pink poodle:D. i am a dog groomer......
    and it is VERY funny to watch a pink poodle chase bunnies:bun and kill the rats in the chicken feed... she was trained by my terrier to get the rodents..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by