A Man and His duckie... lol (Update, PICS page 2!)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nettie, Jan 23, 2009.

1. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    As many of you know, i got ducklings from Ideal yesterday. I ordered the one i wanted, a couple for Goat_walker, and some extras (to fill the order and keep warm). I also got some chicks in my order to help keep everyone warm too. allaboutdemchicks, akak Claudia offered to take all my extras which was a real blessing! I'm so glad they all got wonderful new homes. I was most excited about my new little love Sammy, a snowy Mallard. I have been wanting a bantam sized duck to add to my two runners for quite a while. I originally thought about getting A crested swedish from a dealer here in Alabama before the end of last season, but they didn't come through for me. That prompting me to research more and i decided to go with the snowy mallard.

So our ducklings came. Since they came at the crack of dawn, i went back to bed to lie down after they got here. David asked if there were any cute ones. I told him they were all cute, he made some remark about not keeping any extra. lol. But later in the day, after watching the ducklings run around the brooder and holding the new babies, something got to him. He saw this cute little yellow classic example of a duck pekin. He named him Peter. He casually joked about keeping one of them...

When the time came to pack up all the extra ducklings and chicks to bring to Claudia, he sat there holding Peter the Pekin, kinda hugging him. I told David i took picture of peter so he would remember him. Then he got this look on his face. I took the duckling from him and placed him in the box. I turned back to david to discover he was tearing up and getting emotional as i was closing the box. A tear ran down his cheek [​IMG] [​IMG] . I couldn't bear it, so i told him we could keep Peter. [​IMG]

So now, I have four ducks... Of course he had to go and fall in love with a duck that's gonna grow to be gigantic! He's spent all his extar time sitting watching his Peter Pekin, holding him, petting him, talking to him. David's even telling me he's going to train peter to sit with him while he reads his law homework in his office (our runners like to sit by David and type on his laptop when he's does his homework by them lol). Whenever david has to leave for law school, he goes to the brooder and says goodbye to peter. When he comes back he picks him up and says hello. lol He in completely in love with his new duckie... awwwww....

Here's a pic i got of Peter sleeping yesterday- He has this tendanct\\y to look dead when he sleeps, lol...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  2. How freakin' adorable was that story! Thanks [​IMG]

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Oh that is fabulous! What adorable ducks...that Peter is just too cute.

Men try that macho tough guy BS don't they? hehehehehe Big softies....98% of them.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  4. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    David always acts especially macho, since he's going to be a big lawyer tough guy who's going to put criminals in jail. lol... He always acts like he's soooo tough and has no emotions once so ever... trying over a duckling. lol. I told him it got him major brownie points with me... lol

5. I told him it got him major brownie points with me...

ahhhhh! me too!
    I can't even tell if these tears are from laughing from how funny your story is or how touched I am by how sweet your boyfriend is. [​IMG]

Similiar story with my husband. The first night we had our three runner duckies he picked up the chocolate one and tried to calm her down while she peeped and peeped and peeped. I have a video of this that goes on for about five minutes. [​IMG] As they got older we noticed she always peeped a LOT more than the other ducks, and wondered for a while if she had been traumatized that night. [​IMG]
    Eventually we realized it was because she was the female and just noisier and more nervous! [​IMG]

6. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    That is one of the sweetest stories I have evr read! I think that's awesome and Peter is adorable!

7. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Don't post such darn cute pics! Now I have to get more ducks and I wasn't gonna!

8. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Awwwww.

Edited to ask: how do you keep ducks inside without a mess? Do you have ducky diapers?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2009
  9. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    i do use duckie diapers for when my duckies want to roam the house or my studio. I have several pens for them that have vinyl floors and we keep bedding/paper/ puppy pads/ etc in the various spots to help keep things clean. The babies are currently in a wooden brooder i made the day before they arrived, lol. It's a 2x4ft box, 12 inches high. that has puppy pads with a layer of bedding over it. I got horse bedding this time which is sooo much better at absorbing smells! David loves letting the ducks run loose in the house, esp when he's got a bowl of peas and they are darting around the front room/ dinning room to get them. He puts them in their diapers probably at least 4 hours a day. He likes having them in the house.

10. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Ohhhh Nettie!!! I've been looking for a pic of your ducklings!! I knew you had to have one somewhere! Little Peter is too cute! David sounds to be a wonderful guy...he, like Peter, is a keeper!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by